Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59 Princes Street, Mount Royal Hotel, Marks And Spencer

Cinema (20th Century), Hotel (Period Unassigned), Shop (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Edinburgh, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59 Princes Street, Mount Royal Hotel, Marks And Spencer

Classification Cinema (20th Century), Hotel (Period Unassigned), Shop (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) The Royal Hotel; J & A Glass; T Duncan & Co; Mackay & Chisholm; New Picture House Cinema

Canmore ID 74027

Site Number NT27SE 486

NGR NT 25494 73932

NGR Description Centred NT 25494 73932

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/74027

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Archaeology Notes

NT27SE 486 25494 73932

Architecture Notes

REFERENCE - Scottish Record Office/Scott of Gala Papers/Bundle 46

Alexander Lauder, 59 Princes St. Printed bill head shows shop and 2 vignettes of Scott Monument, Academy & castle. 1861.

56 Princes Street, New Picture House

ARCHITECT: Atkinson and Alexander

Opened 1913. Closed 1951 and sold to Allied Hotels

REFERENCE:

Sources: Dean of Guild Bundle 1812 July-December 1812 3.12.1812

Pet. Robert Paterson, Saddler

Nos 53-54 Princes Street

Minor improvements - ironwork balcony across 5 windows

- stable at rear of property

Plan and elevation of front to Princes Street. Unsigned

Plan and elevation of stables. Unsigned.

Activities

Project (1997)

The Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (http://www.pmsa.org.uk/) set up a National Recording Project in 1997 with the aim of making a survey of public monuments and sculpture in Britain ranging from medieval monuments to the most contemporary works. Information from the Edinburgh project was added to the RCAHMS database in October 2010 and again in 2012.

The PMSA (Public Monuments and Sculpture Association) Edinburgh Sculpture Project has been supported by Eastern Photocolour, Edinburgh College of Art, the Edinburgh World Heritage Trust, Historic Scotland, the Hope Scott Trust, The Old Edinburgh Club, the Pilgrim Trust, the RCAHMS, and the Scottish Archive Network.

Field Visit (15 May 2002)

Five stylised masks, each on a square panel, above top floor windows.

The building also has two metal balconies - one at the top of the building made up of a unicorn head repeated, the other at first floor level made up of a thistle repeated.

Inspected By : T.S.

Inscriptions : None

Signatures : None Visible

Design period : 1955

Information from Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (PMSA Work Ref : EDIN0952)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions