Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

General view of Nos 47 - 59 Princes Street showing awnings on shop fronts and cars parked outside

SC 466083

Description General view of Nos 47 - 59 Princes Street showing awnings on shop fronts and cars parked outside

Date c. 1950

Collection Scottish Colorfoto

Catalogue Number SC 466083

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of B 66508

Scope and Content Royal Hotel, Nos 47-59 Princes Street, Edinburgh Princes Street was originally the south-facing terrace of James Craig's New Town. From the 1830s, Victorian reconstruction transformed the street into Edinburgh's principal thoroughfare of hotels, department stores, shops, offices and clubs. The Royal Hotel was designed in 1876 by the architect Sir William Hamilton Beattie, who later designed Jenners department store next door in 1893-5. The seven-storey building incorporated shops, complete with awnings, on the ground floor. William Hamilton Beattie won a competition in 1895 to design the North British Hotel, a result said to be influenced by Charles Jenner, his client on the other side of Princes Street. He had by then, designed more hotels than any other British architect. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/466083

File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions