Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

Culross Abbey Mansion House

Country House (17th Century)

Site Name Culross Abbey Mansion House

Classification Country House (17th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Abbey House

Canmore ID 48054

Site Number NS98NE 4

NGR NS 98942 86251

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/48054

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Fife
  • Parish Culross
  • Former Region Fife
  • Former District Dunfermline
  • Former County Fife

Archaeology Notes

NS98NE 4.00 98942 86251

NS98NE 4.01 NS 99101 86259 Garden House

NS98NE 4.02 NS 99750 86472 East Lodge

NS98NE 4.03 NS 99117 86226 Stables and House

For Culross Abbey (NS 988 862) and associated buildings, see NS98NE 3.00.

(NS 9894 8625) Abbey House (NR)

OS 25" map, (1962)

Abbey House: This Renaissance mansion house was erected in 1608 for Edward Bruce, Lord Kinloss. It was reconstructed in 1830, reduced and extensively altered in 1955. Though evidently intended that the building should be quadrangular with square angle-pavilions, only two sides were completed in the early 17th century, and only a much reduced fragment of the S range, two storeys and an attic high, remains, with single-storey pavilions.

J G Dunbar 1966; RCAHMS 1933, visited 1928; SDD nd.; Visited by OS (M H) 10 July 1953.

Architecture Notes

REFERENCES:

Scottish Field September 1957

Note from original catalogue slip:

13B x 3H with flanking towers. Reduced to 9B x 2H and towers demolished April 1953.

Owner: Earl of Elgin

see also NS98NE 4.1 Culross Abbey House, Garden House

4.2 Culross Abbey House, East Lodge

NS98NE 3.1 Culross Abbey House, West Lodge (Chapelbarn Lodge)

Activities

Photographic Survey (1953)

Photographic survey by the Scottish National Buildings Record in 1953.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions