Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

View of North Door (prior to rebuilding).

SC 366923

Description View of North Door (prior to rebuilding).

Collection Scottish National Buildings Record

Catalogue Number SC 366923

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of F 3319/22

Scope and Content Detail of carved entrance doorway, Culross Abbey House, Fife A Cistercian monastery was founded at Culross by Malcolm, Earl of Fife, in the 13th century. The town became a burgh of barony under the Abbot of Culross in 1490, and was made a royal burgh in 1592. Abbey House stands beside the Abbey overlooking the town. Originally built by Lord Edward Bruce of Kinloss in 1608, it was enlarged in 1670 to form a large Renaissance-style mansion. Ruinous by c.1800, it was reconstructed in 1830 by Sir Robert Preston. This pilastered doorway on the house's north front, bears the Preston coat of arms in the pediment above. The entire house was remodelled by Robert Hurd & Partners in 1954-9, when they lowered the house by one floor and removed four end bays. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/366923

File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions