Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

We are now accepting Search Room bookings. Click here for further information.

Glasgow, 739 South Street, North British Diesel Engine Works

Engineering Works (20th Century)

Site Name Glasgow, 739 South Street, North British Diesel Engine Works

Classification Engineering Works (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Glasgow, Whiteinch, 739 South Street; Barclay Curle & Co.

Canmore ID 68385

Site Number NS56NW 52

NGR NS 53415 66915

NGR Description Centred on 53415 66915

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/68385

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Glasgow, City Of
  • Parish Govan (City Of Glasgow)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District City Of Glasgow
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Recording Your Heritage Online

North British Diesel Engine Works, 739 South Street, 1913, Karl Bernardt, executed by John Galt

Steel-framed brick and glass building modelled on AEG turbine factory, Berlin by Peter Behrens on which the German architect-engineer Bernardt had also worked. Tall main workshop fronting river, with flattened mansard roof. Gable ends originally glazed. Large central aisle with east gallery, two layers of travelling cranes. On quayside, Titan Crane, 1920, Sir William Arrol. Original for the 'Meccano' model.

Taken from "Greater Glasgow: An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Sam Small, 2008. Published by the Rutland Press http://www.rias.org.uk

Archaeology Notes

NS56NW 52 534 668

"...built 1913-14 for Barclay, Curle and Co, J Galt, architect (?44,458). The main shop is a steel framed structure, clad in brick and glass, with a flattened 'mansard roof', having a strong resemblance to Peter Behren's AEG factory. The office block is a three storey, 10 bay structure, faced with terra-cotta brick, with a flat roof".

J R Hume, 1974

"the machine hall['s]...portal frame of the main space was translated externally as a long, low multi-facteted roof over a brick 'arch' infilled with glass...While it is generally acknowledged that John Galt -a Glasgow architect- supervised the erection of the factory, recent research has suggested that the designer was a German engineer, Karl Bernhard, who worked with Peter Behrens on the design of the AEG Turbine Factory (1909) in Berlin - which would account for the clear similarities between the two buildings."

1984

During the early 1980's the engineering firm of Sir William Arrol & Co. Ltd., appear to have been contracted to supply roll-on roll-off ramps for an unspecified ferry pier on the Skye Triangle at Uig, Lochmaddy or Tarbert. Information extracted from Hansard for 1988, Column 1196, notes that 'Link spans for roll-on roll-off purposes have been built at Uig, Tarbert, Lochmaddy, Lochboisdale and Colonsay. Work is proceeding on a linkspan at Castlebay in Barra. A total of 22 million GBP has been paid out in pier grants throughout Scotland since 1979'.

Information from RCAHMS (MKO), July 2001.

Activities

Laser Scanning (22 July 2014 - 31 July 2014)

A laser scan survey of the electric overhead gantry crane inside the former Barclay Curle North British Diesel Engine Works was carried out in 2014. The laser scan survey was carried out to provide control for drawing work prior to the crane being dismatled and removed.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions