Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Mallaig Station

Railway Station (20th Century)

Site Name Mallaig Station

Classification Railway Station (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Mallaig Railway Station; Mallaig Harbour

Canmore ID 108368

Site Number NM69NE 12

NGR NM 67561 97054

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2024.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Glenelg (Lochaber)
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Lochaber
  • Former County Inverness-shire

Recording Your Heritage Online

Mallaig Station, 1901, possibly James Miller Terminus station building deviating from the standard chalet-style structures along this line in providing a domestic-looking street frontage combining dwelling above office, with access through to an island platform, now shorn of its canopy. In its earlier days, the track ran right over the wharf to the water's edge.

Taken from "Western Seaboard: An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Mary Miers, 2008. Published by the Rutland Press

Archaeology Notes

NM69NE 12.00 67561 97054

NM69NE 12.01 NM 6748 9701 Engine Shed

NM69NE 12.02 NM 67434 96843 Signal Box

For (associated) Mallaig, Railway Houses, see:

NM69NE 16 centred NM 67483 96894 1-4 Victoria Place

NM69NE 22 centred NM 67470 96876 5-8 Victoria Place

NM69NE 23 centred NM 67487 96864 9-12 Victoria Place

NM69NE 24 centred NM 67500 96881 13-16 Victoria Place

For adjacent (associated) harbour, see NM69NE 11.

Opened 1.4.1901 (WHR)

(Undated) information in NMRS.

(Location cited as NM 675 970). Mallaig Station, built 1901 by the West Highland Extension Rly. An island-platform terminal station with a glazed girder-framed overall roof supported on a rubble wall, and cast-iron columns. There is an attractive two-storey rubble station building with a dwelling house on the upper floor. Curiously, the booking office is in a detached brick building.

The other significant railway structures here are a single-road, eight-bay locomotive shed, with three seperate louvred roof ventilators, now a fish-box store [NM69NE 12.01]; a wooden signal box [NM69NE 12.02], and two blocks of railway housing.

J R Hume 1977.

This station is the northern terminus of the Fort William (Mallaig Junction) - Mallaig line (the 'West Highland extension') of the former North British Rly. It remains in regular use by passenger traffic.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 12 December 2000.

R V J Butt 1995.


Aerial Photography (3 May 2007)


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions