Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Kirkcaldy, Dock And Harbour

Dock (Period Unassigned), Harbour (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Kirkcaldy, Dock And Harbour

Classification Dock (Period Unassigned), Harbour (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Firth Of Forth; Outer Forth Estuary

Canmore ID 52938

Site Number NT29SE 44

NGR NT 28549 91932

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/52938

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Fife
  • Parish Kirkcaldy And Dysart
  • Former Region Fife
  • Former District Kirkcaldy
  • Former County Fife

Archaeology Notes

NT29SE 44.00 28549 91932

NT29SE 44.01 NT 2853 9197 to NT 2856 9197 capstans

NT29SE 44.03 NT 2854 9219 warehouse

NT29SE 44.03 NT 2856 9221 warehouse

(Location cited as NT 285 920). Kirkcaldy Harbour, improved 1843 and 1909. Consists of an inner and an outer basin, the former gated, with two piers.There is a swing bridge over the entrance to the inner basin. The works are executed partly in rubble and partly in concrete, and built 1909. Associated with the harbour are 1-, 2-, 3- and 4-storey warehouses of various dates.

J R Hume 1976.

A photographic survey of the various surviving components of the harbour was carried out prior to a proposed development designed to transform and rehabilitate the area. The harbour's commercial facilities had been disused for many years.

Information from RCAHMS (MKO), 24 June 1998

Site recorded by Maritime Fife during the Coastal Assessment Survey for Historic Scotland, Kincardine to Fife Ness 1996

Architecture Notes

NT29SE 44.00 28549 91932

Engineers:

James Craig 1788

Robert Stevenson 1821

Reference

Plans:

Held by Kirkcaldy Museum and Library

James Craig

1788 Plan

Robert Stevenson

1821 Plan

1822 Plan of East Pier

1833 3 sheets sluices and rollers

1864/6 Wet dock on East sands plan

1842 2 sheets graving dock

1842 Plans railway from Lochgelly to Harbour

1843 Plans of sections of East pier

1844 Plans of graving dock

1854 Plans of breakwater

1857 Plans of ean? of East pier

1865 3 sheets entrance to wet dock

1872 Plans of sheds at East pier

1872 Plans of general improvements

1874 Plans of wharf

1880 Plans of extension of railway to Kirkcaldy Harbour

1888 2 sheets plans of deep water harbour

1900 Plans of causewayed? acess to beach

Robertson

1906 Plans

1912 2 sheets plans of Harbour

Undated plans

NT29SE 285 918

A photographic survey of the various surviving components of the harbour was carried out prior to a proposed development designed to transform and rehabilitate the area. The harbour's commercial facilities had been disused for many years.

Information from RCAHMS (MKO), 24 June 1998

Site Management (19 April 2011)

At least 3 builds. N section 2-stage comprising walkway and parapet; coursed rubble sandstone on natural bedrock; steps up to walkway. Middle section (circa 1845): 2-stage comprising walkway and parapet; droved ashlar sandstone (lifting points exposed); round-arched semicircular recesses. S section (1909): parapet and quay; pre-cast concrete; cast-iron pawls.

Part of predominantly 19th and 20th centuries harbour and docks, encasing earlier structures. The harbour has been on this site since at least the 17th century, and was known by 1676 as the 'old' and 'new' harbours. Some early structure appears to have been incorporated into the N part of the current inner dock, possibly 1756 extension, and in 1797 authorisation was granted to deepen the new basin. A railway connection was brought to the harbour in 1849, and the NSA mentions major planned improvements to harbour extension of E pier, drawn up by civil engineer James Leslie of Dundee. This almost certainly relates to the middle section of the existing pier, which was carried out in fine ashlar work. Harbour duties formed an important source of income to the town, and much money was expended by the town council to ensure that the harbour continued to meet the requirements of traders. Further extension of the E pier and enlargement of the outer basin took place in 1909, at the height of the linoleum trade. Trade with the Continent prior to the Union included coal, salt and salted fish; Kirkcaldy remained a busy harbour at the start of this century with exports including linoleum, paper, malt, grain and textiles. During WWI it was taken over by the American Navy, and finally closed in 1929. (Historic Scotland)

Site Management (19 April 2011)

OUTER BASIN AND W PIER: concrete shelf to basin with slipway to W; 2 timber piers adjoining mouth to inner dock. Parapet and quay to W pier; cast-iron pawls; single storey brick warehouse.

The harbour has been on this site since at least the 17th century, and was known by 1676 as the 'old' and 'new' harbours. Some early structure appears to have been incorporated into the N part of the current inner dock, possibly 1756 extension, and in 1797 authorisation was granted to deepen the new basin. A railway connection was brought to the harbour in 1849, and the NSA mentions major planned improvements to harbour extension of E pier, drawn up by civil engineer James Leslie of Dundee. This almost certainly relates to the middle section of the existing pier, which was carried out in fine ashlar work. Harbour duties formed an important source of income to the town, and much money was expended by the town council to ensure that the harbour continued to meet the requirements of traders. Further extension of the E pier and enlargement of the outer basin took place in 1909, at the height of the linoleum trade. Trade with the Continent prior to the Union included coal, salt and salted fish; Kirkcaldy remained a busy harbour at the start of this century with exports including linoleum, paper, malt, grain and textiles. During WWI it was taken over by the American Navy, and finally closed in 1929. (Historic Scotland)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions