Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Kilchrist, Old Church

Cemetery (Period Unassigned), Church (Period Unassigned), Mausoleum (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Kilchrist, Old Church

Classification Cemetery (Period Unassigned), Church (Period Unassigned), Mausoleum (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Gilchrist, Mausoleum; 'the Old Church Of Kilchrist'; Gilchrist Farm

Canmore ID 12672

Site Number NH54NW 14

NGR NH 53889 49214

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/12672

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Urray (Ross And Cromarty)
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Ross And Cromarty
  • Former County Ross And Cromarty

Archaeology Notes

NH54NW 14 53889 49214

(NH 5389 4921) Mausoleum formerly a Chapel (NR)

OS 6" map, Ross-shire, 2nd ed., (1907)

See also NH54NW 99.

The church of the former parish of Kilchrist or Tarradale, united with Urray in 1574. It was dedicated to Our Lord and known as Cill Chriosd, and is traditionally said to have been burnt in 1603. The church was re-roofed c. 1870 and is now the mausoleum of the MacKenzies of Ord.

H Scott 1928; D MacDonald, A Polson and J Brown 1931; A MacDonald and A MacDonald 1900.

'The Old Church of Kilchrist', roofed, in reasonable condition, and still used as a mausoleum. The burial ground is still in use. Photo.

Visited by OS (A A) 24 June 1975.

Mausoleum

formerly Old Church of KIlchrist

Graveyard [NAT]

OS (GIS) Mastermap, April 2010.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions