Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Inverness, Caledonian Canal, Clachnaharry Lock

Lock (Post Medieval)

Site Name Inverness, Caledonian Canal, Clachnaharry Lock

Classification Lock (Post Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) Caledonian Canal, Clachnaharry Works Lock, Inverness

Canmore ID 13480

Site Number NH64NW 30.02

NGR NH 6488 4656

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/13480

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Inverness And Bona
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Inverness
  • Former County Inverness-shire

Archaeology Notes

NH64NW 30.02 6488 4656

The lock-gates were replaced between 1890 and 1906 by new ones constructed from oak and steel and the lock itself was mechanised by the mid-twentieth century.

J Lindsay 1968.

This Works Lock is at the N end of Muirtown Basin (NH64NE 120.00) and is the location of the canal workshops (NH64NW 27) belonging to British Waterways.

G Hutton 1992.

Caledonian Canal, lock.

CFA/MORA Coastal Assessment Survey 1998

This feature is clearly marked as Lock on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Inverness-shire 1874, sheet iv) and as Clachnaharry Lock on the 2nd edition of the OS 6-inch map (Inverness-shire 1907, sheet iv), on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1985) and on the OS Basic Scale raster map (ND).

Information from RCAHMS (MD) 3 October 2001.

Standing building recording NH 6488 4656 A comprehensive photographic survey was carried out of Clachnaharry Lock and Clachnaharry Sea Lock, in advance of and during repairs, required as a condition of Scheduled Monument Consent. The locks were drained and the opportunity was taken to examine the entire fabric. The quality of the 19thcentury

engineering was noted.

Archive deposited in Highland SMR and NMRS.

Sponsors: British Waterways Board, R J McLeod.

J Wood 2005

Architecture Notes

See also NH64NW 30.00

NH64NW 30.01

Activities

Field Visit (8 May 2013 - 8 May 2013)

Clachnaharry Works Lock – NH64NW 30.02

Grid Reference - NH 64909 46533 (SE end) to NH 64865 46563 (NW end)

A typical lock with the usual features of a lock, plus bollards, hooks and a single capstan (NMRS No - NH64NW 126.00) at the NW end. On the north (known as the south) bank there is a joinery workshop (NMRS No – NH64NW 30.04) and also an old crane and on the south (known as the north) bank there is an old smiddy (NMRS No – NH64NW 27.01) and a workshop (NMRS No. NH64NW 27.00). To the NW, outside the lock gates, the stonework of the canal is “lined” with substantial timber staging - possible protection for the stonework or indeed for the vessels passing through? The timber staging extends under the railway swing bridge (NMRS No – NH64NW 33.00) which crosses the canal. A pedestrian railway crossing is on the east side of the canal.

Information from the Scottish Canals Recording Project (AC, DF and MM) 8 May 2013

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions