Inverness, Clachnaharry, Clachnaharry Road, Caledonian Canal, Clachnaharry Lock, Canal Workshops View from the top lock gate of the Clachnaharry Lock of part of the Canal Workshops topped off with the ...
SC 799569
Description Inverness, Clachnaharry, Clachnaharry Road, Caledonian Canal, Clachnaharry Lock, Canal Workshops View from the top lock gate of the Clachnaharry Lock of part of the Canal Workshops topped off with the cupola Digital image of D 64075.
Date 30/3/1999
Collection Records of the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS), Edinbu
Catalogue Number SC 799569
Category On-line Digital Images
Copy of D 64075
Scope and Content Canal Workshops, Clachnaharry Lock, Caledonian Canal, Inverness, Highland, from east This view looking west from the pedestrian walkway of the lock gates shows an entrance to the canal workshops which were probably built around 1807 and rebuilt around 1850. A bellcote with a hipped roof surmounts the corner of the building and a louvred ventilator tops the other corner. Part of the original blacksmith's shop is visible on the left. Carpenters and blacksmiths would have been employed in the workshops to build and carry out repairs on lock gates and other structures along the canal. A boat called 'gatelifter' which contained fitting apparatus would be used to transport lock gates made in this building. The Caledonian Canal was designed by Thomas Telford (1757-1834) and built between 1803 and 1822 at a cost of £840,000. It was the first example of a transport network funded by the government in Great Britain. The 96.5km-long canal provides a route for boats travelling between the North Sea and Atlantic Ocean as it runs from the Beauly Firth at Clachnaharry, Inverness, to Loch Linnhe at Corpach. Only 35.4km of this length is man-made while the other 61km runs through four lochs: Loch Dochfour, Loch Ness, Loch Oich and Loch Lochy. Unfortunately at 4.2m deep the canal was too small for most sea-going ships which led to it being altered and deepened between 1844 and 1847. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.
Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/799569
File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap
Attribution: © Crown Copyright: HES
Licence Type: Internally Generated
You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.
Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]