Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Our online mapping services, aerial photography and satellite imaging layers are undergoing scheduled maintenance on Sundays in June. Service might be intermittent or unavailable on 6, 20 and 27 June. Thank you for your patience.


Ayr, Doonfoot Road, Seafield

Hospital (20th Century), Villa (19th Century)

Site Name Ayr, Doonfoot Road, Seafield

Classification Hospital (20th Century), Villa (19th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Ayrshire And Arran Health Board; Former Seafield Hospital; Seafield Hospital For Sick Children

Canmore ID 120298

Site Number NS32SW 143

NGR NS 33060 20332

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council South Ayrshire
  • Parish Ayr
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Kyle And Carrick
  • Former County Ayrshire

Summary Record

Seafield was recorded by RCAHMS Threatened Buidings Survey in April 2014 prior to the proposed demolition. Only the exterior was recorded because foollowing a fire in 2008 the building was deemed by the owners to be too unstable to allow access.

Clarke & Bell, designed the building with Robert A Bryden, 1888-90 for Sir William Arroll. The interior and exterior of the house were recorded by Harry Bedford Lemere soon after the house was completed in 1890.

STG 2014

Archaeology Notes

NO32SW 143.00 33060 20332

This late Victorian former private house was converted to hospital use in the first quarter of the 20th century. The building is no longer a hospital. Its current condition is unknown.

Information from RCAHMS (MMD), 21 May 2008.

Site Management (12 February 2009)

4-bay Italianate former hospital, with 4-storey tower and 3-storey wing to N. Coursed sandstone ashlar polished to margins. V-jointed base course with channelled rustication to principal elevation, base course and V-jointed channelled rustication to ground floor of remaining elevations; architraved openings, corniced with consoles to ground floor of principal elevation; dividing band courses; eaves course; strip quoins; overhanging eaves on timber modillions.

Built for the engineer Sir William Arrol (hence the tooled panel reading "WA"), replacing an earlier house. Seafield House was bought by the Ayrshire Health Authority in 1921 for use as a maternity and child welfare hospital. It was converted to a paediatric unit in 1944, and remained in use as such until 1991 when it became the Health Board's HQ (Historic Scotland)


Desk Based Assessment (15 February 2012)

A desk based assessment of this building was made by RCAHMS Threatened Building Survey following a consent/planning application for demolition works at the site being submitted to the planning local authority.

A request for RCAHMS to carry out a statutory survey of the site was made via online planning portal/letter.

Planning Application ref – 11/01590/LBC


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions