Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Falkirk, Camelon Road, Rosebank Distillery

Distillery (19th Century)

Site Name Falkirk, Camelon Road, Rosebank Distillery

Classification Distillery (19th Century)

Canmore ID 83240

Site Number NS88SE 111

NGR NS 87625 80289

NGR Description Centred NS 87625 80289

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/83240

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Falkirk
  • Parish Falkirk
  • Former Region Central
  • Former District Falkirk
  • Former County Stirlingshire

Archaeology Notes

NS88SE 111.00 centred 87625 80289

NS88SE 111.01 NS 87518 80277 Bonded Warehouse

NS88SE 111.02 Centred NS 87526 80361 Maltings

NS88SE 111.03 Centred NS 87649 80322 Bonded Warehouses

NS 876 803 An excavation and standing building survey were undertaken in April 2005 in advance of a housing development on the site of the former Tophill Boatyard. The standing building and archaeological evidence showed that the remains were in accord with cartographic evidence. The graving dock was shown to have stone-lined stepped sides.

The remains of buildings comprising a carpenter's shop and a smithy, which contained the remains of three furnaces, were excavated. A 2m deep linear stone-built pit was excavated and shown to be most likely a sawpit. The remains of a boatshed with internal structures including machine plinths, anchors, brick surfaces and a slipway were also excavated.

Archive to be deposited in NMRS.

Sponsor: Westpoint Homes Ltd.

S Mitchell 2005.

Site Management (4 August 2008)

Probably founded 1817 by James Robertson, rebuilt 1864-6 by R W Rankine, later modifications. CAMELON ROAD FRONTAGE: range of 2 and 3-storey brick buildings, part rendered, incorporating 3-storey tun room (now 1-storey internally) with evidence of top floor louvred refrigeration room. 3 large wooden worm tubs in front of set-back still house with 3 stills (triple distillation). Tall circular sectionred brick chimney stalk with top section rebuilt in brick in 1980s. CANAL FRONTAGE: 2 three-storey ranges of duty free warehouses, with gateway between. N range 10 bay, masonry ground floor, red and white brick upper floors, with piended slated roof. S range 8 bay, masonry ground and first floors, red and white brick top floor, gabled, with slated roof. Prominent tie plates between floors.

Also known as Falkirk or Camelon distillery. Taken over from Rosebank Distillery Ltd in 1914. One of three surviving original Lowland Malt Whisky distilleries (others are Glenkinchie, Bladnoch) and only one triple distilling. Complex contains evidence of early distilling practice. Maltings were latterly on W side of canal, closed 1968 and demolished in 1970s. (Historic Scotland)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions