Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Inveraray Castle Estate, Malt Land, General

Office (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Inveraray Castle Estate, Malt Land, General

Classification Office (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Jubilee Hall; Maltland Court; Maltland Square; The Great Shade; The Great Shed; Maltlands; Inveraray Castle Policies

Canmore ID 73115

Site Number NN00NE 31

NGR NN 08950 09940

NGR Description Centred NN 08950 09940

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/73115

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Argyll And Bute
  • Parish Inveraray
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Argyll And Bute
  • Former County Argyll

Architecture Notes

NN00NE 31.00 Centred on NN 08950 09940 Inveraray Castle Estate, Malt Land

NN00NE 31.01 NN 08907 09951 Great Shade

NN00NE 31.02 NN 08970 09966 Barn

NN00NE 31.03 NN 09020 09931 Jubilee Hall

NN00NE 31.04 NN 0901 0989 Gardeners Cottage

NN00NE 31.05 NN 08977 09841 Walled Garden

NN00NE 31.06 NN 08927 09919 Cottage

NN00NE 31.07 NN 08960 09910 Bothy (Old Groom's House)

NN00NE 31.08 NN 09217 09750 Cam Ban

Activities

Field Visit (October 1986)

This 18th-century rectangular court of office- and farmbuilding sstands on the W bank of the River Aray, at the S end of the Maltland meadow (en.1*). 1 km NW of Inveraray Castle (No. 184). An earlier court known as the 'White Barns', grouped round three sides of a square, stood a little to the SE, and part of its central range is preserved in the E wall of the adjacent walled garden of 1752-5.

The development of the Maitland offices began with a coach-house, designed by John Adam to abut the garden wall in 1760-1 and completed with an adjacent lean-to range of stables and cottages in the early 1770s, probably under the supervision of William Mylne. At the same period a detached hay-barn was built 44m to the N. The project for a courtyard 98m in length had presumably been conceived by 1774, when Robert Mylne began to design the 'Great Shade' or workshop forming its W side, and two years later he produced a drawing for 'making the buildings behind the garden into a compleat farm yard'. A series of undated drawings for the completion of the court shows some variations in detail, but by 1782 the hay-barn had been doubled in width to the N, and the courtyard enclosed by range of single-storeyed drying-sheds flanking the hay-barn and returning to abut at the W the 'Great Shade' and at the E a Riding School of similar dimensions, designed by Mylne in 1780 (en.2). This last building, which was also employed as a hay-barn, was much used for amateur theatricals before being gutted by fire in 1817; it was restored in 1897 as the 'Jubilee Hall’ (en.3*). The NE range of drying-sheds had been removed before 1870, and the hay-barn, having already been considerably altered, was partially dismantled about 1960.

RCAHMS 1992, visited October 1986

[see RCAHMS 1992 No. 197 for a full architectural description]

Publication Account (1990)

The large kitchen garden, with its 6m high N wall (James Potter, mason), was laid out in 1752-5, close to the earlier 'White Barns'. A five-bay coach-house abutting the N wall was designed by John Adam in 1760 and completed in 1772-3, along with flanking single-storeyed cottages and stables (now mostly demolished). The Great Shed to the W (1774-5; ? Robert Mylne, architect) contained a smithy, sawmill and wrights' workshop, and still serves the last two functions. A dam 250m to the W supplied water-power to drive the sawmill during the 19th century. A series of masonry piers suppoted the double roof, and the E and W racades both incorporate giant arcades of five round-arched openings. Mylne produced several schemes for completing the courtyard (Inveraray, figs. 75, 80). The N side appears to have been enclosed by a wall which was incorporated in 1781-2 as the spine-wall of a long range of louvred hay-drying sheds, with a higher central barn (now ruinous). At the same time the E side, at one time intended for a second 'Great Shed', was filmed by a large Riding School (gutted by fire, 1817; rebuilt as Jubilee Hall, 1897). This building was much used for amateur theatricals in the early years of the 19th century and, perhaps because of the frequent involvement of Lady Charlotte Campbell, the Maitland was given the alternative name 'Charlotte Square' on the estate map of 1812.

Information from ‘RCAHMS Excursion guide 1990: Commissioners' field excursion, Argyll, 7-9 May 1990’.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions