Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Greenock, East India Harbour

Harbour (19th Century)

Site Name Greenock, East India Harbour

Classification Harbour (19th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Inner Clyde Estuary; Inner Firth Of Clyde

Canmore ID 68401

Site Number NS27NE 32

NGR NS 28533 75974

NGR Description Centred NS 28533 75974

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/68401

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Inverclyde
  • Parish Greenock
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Inverclyde
  • Former County Renfrewshire

Archaeology Notes

NS27NE 32.00 centred 28533 75974

Location formerly cited as NS 285 759.

NS27NE 32.01 NS 2840 7610 Dry Docks

Not to be confused with Victoria Harbour (centred NS 2860 7581) or Albert Harbour (centred NS 2781 7681), for which see NT27NE 28 and NT27NE 49 respectively.

East India Harbour [NAT]

OS 1:10,000 map, 1993.

Visible on vertical air photography, (OS 88/041/102, flown 1988).

(Undated) information in NMRS.

(Location cited as NS 285 760). East India Harbour, built 1805. A rectangular basin, with a dry dock off the west end. The quay faces are partly masonry, partly wood-piled. On the north quay is a single-storey, iron-framed, wood-clad transit shed. Now used mainly for laying up ships.

J R Hume 1976.

NS 285 759 A watching brief was undertaken during the demolition and refurbishment of East India Harbour from September 1997 to February 1998. A desktop assessment of available documentary evidence relating to the harbour allowed precise dating of features revealed during the course of refurbishment. A record was made of the structure of the harbour prior to refurbishment and all demolition work was monitored.

Some of the masonry from the initial harbour construction, designed by John Rennie and built from 1805-09, remained in situ. Additions and modifications to this harbour and the quay-side furniture, which occurred throughout the working life of the harbour, were also recorded. A collection of waste material from the Clyde Pottery was recovered from the fill of one of the quays. This material dates from 1841-57.

The site archive and report have been deposited with the NMRS.

Sponsor: Renfrewshire Enterprise.

L M Baker 1998

NS 285 759 The report contains details of the work carried out and the results as stated above. It also contains a history of the site and a record of building work that has been carried out. The report does not list any recommendations for further work on the site.

Sponsor: Renfrewshire Enterprise.

NMRS MS/899/94 (Headland Archaeology Ltd. September1997 - February 1998)

Construction of a new harbour (the 'East India') started at Greenock in 1805. It was designed by John Rennie, and had a low water depth of 12ft [3.7m].

J Riddell 2000.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions