Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Glasgow, 522 Pollokshaws Road, Coplaw Horse-tram Depot

Theatre (Period Unassigned), Tram Depot (Modern)

Site Name Glasgow, 522 Pollokshaws Road, Coplaw Horse-tram Depot

Classification Theatre (Period Unassigned), Tram Depot (Modern)

Alternative Name(s) Tramway Theatre; Museum Of Transport (Old); Coplawhill Tram Depot; Scottish Ballet

Canmore ID 150610

Site Number NS56SE 298

NGR NS 58132 63153

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/150610

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Glasgow, City Of
  • Parish Govan (City Of Glasgow)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District City Of Glasgow
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Architecture Notes

NMRS REFERENCE

Glasgow, 25 Albert Drive, Coplaw Tram Depot.

Following the closure of the tram system in 1962, Coplawhill tramway workshops became the first home of The Museum of Transport. The new Museum of Transport is adjacent to the Kelvin Hall (NS56NE 145).

Information from RCAHMS, 1999.

This building was built in phases. The horse tram depot was built in 1894 and designed by W Clark, engineer. This phase was brick built with stabling on the first floor. The main workshops were built 1899-1912 as a single storey with steel roof trusses on red and white brick walls. The main Albert Drive frontage (also from this period) was sandstone ashlar with round headed doorways (11 in number - 9 were bricked up on conversion to the Museum of Transport).

J R Hume, 1974.

The 5 end bays facing onto Pollokshaws Road at NS58196 63127 which was part of the original horse tram depot (as depicted on the Ordnance Survey, 25-inch map, epoch 2, 79ns5863 (1899)) suffered partial collapse in July 2006 and became unsafe. The remains of these bays were subsequently demolished late July 2006.

Information from H Vanreusel, Malcolm Fraser Architects, 28 North Bridge, Edinburgh, 27 July 2006; Visited by RCAHMS (MMD and EL) 5 September 2006.

From 1820-1862 this site was partially occupied by the 40 acre market garden called Coplaw Nursery. In 1899, Coplaw Tramworks was opened. Electrification of the tram system took place in 1901. Electrical substation and erecting shop built 1901 with the shed and stables merged with the works. The site was used as a recruitment office 1914-18 and from 1939-45 to manufacture aircraft wings.

Information from exhibition board at Tramway, noted by RCAHMS (MMD), 5 September 2006.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions