Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Essential maintenance

HES is currently undertaking essential maintenance on our web services. This will limit access to services in the following ways:

- Subscription access for HES online services will be unavailable (Scran, NCAP)

 - Image purchasing options will be limited (Canmore, Britain from Above, Scran, NCAP)

 - Any enhanced services which require a log in will be unavailable (My Canmore, Britain from Above contributions, Scran contribute)

 General access to these services will all continue. Enquiries will still be able to be submitted.

 We anticipate services to be restored from Monday 1st February 2021.

 

View looking ESE showing part of WNW front of tram depot with part of station in foreground

SC 733241

Description View looking ESE showing part of WNW front of tram depot with part of station in foreground

Date 4/6/1970

Collection John R Hume

Catalogue Number SC 733241

Category On-line Digital Images

Scope and Content Coplaw Tram Depot (Coplawhill Tramway Works), No 25 Albert Drive, Glasgow When Glasgow Corporation took over the operation of the city's horse trams from the Glasgow Tramway and Omnibus Co in 1894, they built a series of new depots, all designed by W Clark, engineer to the Tramways Department. One of these was the nucleus of this works, which was greatly enlarged in 1899-1912. This shows the northern part of the west front of the works from the west. Behind the screen wall are the main repair and construction bays, their length giving some idea of the scale of the city's tramways. Below the works is Pollokshields East Station, on the Cathcart District Railway, opened in 1886. This works built many of the tramcars used in the city, and rebuilt older ones to keep them up-to-date. The trams were phased out between 1955 and 1962, with a run-down of activities here. After 1962 part of the works became a transport museum. This section became derelict and has now been demolished. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

External Reference H35/70/21/5

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/733241

File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

Collection Hierarchy - Item Level

Collection Level (551 147) John R Hume

> Item Level (SC 733241) View looking ESE showing part of WNW front of tram depot with part of station in foreground

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © HES. Reproduced courtesy of J R Hume

Licence Type: Permission to Reproduce

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions