Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Maryburgh, Conon Bridge

Road Bridge (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Maryburgh, Conon Bridge

Classification Road Bridge (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) River Conon; Bridge Pool

Canmore ID 12813

Site Number NH55NW 39

NGR NH 54081 55857

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/12813

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Fodderty
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Ross And Cromarty
  • Former County Ross And Cromarty

Archaeology Notes

NH55NW 39 54081 55857

Conon Bridge [NAT]

OS (GIS) MasterMap, February 2010.

Location formerly entered as NH 540 557 and NH 5401 5584.

Formerly also entered as NH55NW 187 at cited location NH 54083 55862.

For (adjacent) Maryburgh, tollhouse, see NH55NW 35.

For (predecessor) Telford bridge (at NH c. 5403 5581), see NH55NW 189.

For corresponding railway bridge (adjacent to SW), see NH55NW 32.

This bridge carries the A862 public road (formerly the A9) across the River Conon between the villages of Conon Bridge (in the parish of Urquhart and Logie Wester) and Maryburgh (in the parish of Fodderty), to the S and N respectively. The original (now-demolished) five-arched bridge (NH55NW 189) was designed by Thomas Telford in 1806-9, and the present bridge by James Arrol (county surveyor) in 1969.

The available map evidence (GIS MasterMap) indicates that that brisdge extends from NH c. 54064 55893 to NH c. 54105 55814.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 1 July 2009.

J Gifford 1992; E Beaton 1992.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions