Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Glasgow, 903 South Street, Scotstoun Shipbuilding Yard

Shipyard (19-20th Century)

Site Name Glasgow, 903 South Street, Scotstoun Shipbuilding Yard

Classification Shipyard (19-20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Barclay Curle & Co.

Canmore ID 68386

Site Number NS56NW 53

NGR NS 530 670

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/68386

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Glasgow, City Of
  • Parish Govan (City Of Glasgow)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District City Of Glasgow
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Archaeology Notes

NS56NW 53 530 670

Scotstoun Shipbuilding Yard, 903 South St., founded 1861 by Charles Connell. A much-rebuilt group of one and two storey brick and steel-framed, iron-clad buildings, with a two storey office block.

Hume 1974

Activities

Note (6 September 2013)

BAe systems Surface Ships, former Yarrows Yard 1906 Boiler Shop and 1950s E extension, South Street, Scotstoun, Glasgow

The former Yarrows Shipyard (now BAe systems Central Yard, NS56NW 41.01) was begun in 1906 after Yarrow and Company (founded 1865 at Folly Wall, Poplar, London) outgrew their London Yard in Cubitt Town in 1898 and moved to greenfield site at Scotstoun Glasgow. The original 1906 saw-toothed roofed, brick and steel-framed Boiler House (remodelled) and part of the adjacent open steelyard gantry survives, along with the wet dock (originally covered, now open).

The current yard has over the years subsumed Elderslie Shipyard (now BAe Dock Yard, acquired 1970s formerly owned by Barclay Curle to the west of the Yarrows Yard). Elderslie Shipyard contains three dry docks of 1904, 1933 and 1965. The 1904 dock was covered in the 1970s along with a large fabrication hall demolished in 2008. Blytheswood Shipyard (1919, now forms the east part of the Central Yard and East Yard) was acquired in 1965.

Yarrows Co. Ltd also devised the Coventry Ordnance Works venture in 1905 and built a factory in 1910 in Scotstoun to the east.

Visited by RCAHMS (MMD) 6 September 2013.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions