Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Ayr, Station Road, Railway Station, Canopies And Footbridge

Footbridge (Period Unassigned), Railway Station (19-20th Century), War Memorial (20th Century)

Site Name Ayr, Station Road, Railway Station, Canopies And Footbridge

Classification Footbridge (Period Unassigned), Railway Station (19-20th Century), War Memorial (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Smith Street; Ayr, Townhead Station; Ayr, South Side Station: St Enoch's War Memorial Plaque

Canmore ID 41738

Site Number NS32SW 103

NGR NS 34055 21387

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/41738

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council South Ayrshire
  • Parish Ayr
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Kyle And Carrick
  • Former County Ayrshire

Archaeology Notes

NS32SW 103.00 34055 21387

NS32SW 103.01 NS 34069 21367 SE Entrance Range

NS32SW 103.02 NS 34040 21410 NW Entrance Range

NMRS REFERENCE

Original station probably opened 5/8/1839 (Glasgow, Paisley, Kilmarnock and Ayr Rly); All services transferred to present station 1/7/1857; Rebuilt 12/1/1886.

Present station used as temporary station from 7/8/1856 to 1/7/1857 when made permanent.

Formerly known as Ayr Townhead or Ayr South Side.

(Undated) information in NMRS.

(Location cited as NS 340 214). This is a two platform through station which was rebuilt in 1886 [Glasgow and South Western Railway]. It has two bay platforms at the N end. The offices (up-platform) are incorporated into the red sandstone hotel and the down-platform offices are in the one storey sandstone block of 15 bays. The former extensive glazed awnings on cast iron columns have beeen reduced.

J R Hume 1976.

This intermediate station on the Glasgow (St Enoch) - Stranraer main line of the former Glasgow and South Western Rly was also the junction station for an extensive network of branch lines in Ayrshire. It opened in its original form and on its original site by the Glasgow, Paisley, Kilmarnock and Ayr Rly on 5 August 1839 and closed on 1 July 1857. The second station was opened subsequent to this by the G & SW Rly and renamed Ayr on 1 July 1857; this second station closed on 12 January 1886 and was replaced by the present station (280m further S) on the same date. This station remains in regular passenger use, and has been electrified.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 5 July 2006.

R V J Butt 1995.

Activities

Project (February 2014 - July 2014)

A data upgrade project to record war memorials.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions