Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Fingask Castle

Country House (Period Unassigned), Tower House (Medieval)

Site Name Fingask Castle

Classification Country House (Period Unassigned), Tower House (Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) Fingask Castle Policies

Canmore ID 30458

Site Number NO22NW 7

NGR NO 22789 27468

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/30458

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Perth And Kinross
  • Parish Kilspindie
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District Perth And Kinross
  • Former County Perthshire

Archaeology Notes

NO22NW 7.00 22789 27468

(NO 2280 2745) Fingask Castle (NR)

OS 6" map (1901)

NO22NW 7.01 NO 22810 27451 Mercat Cross

NO22NW 7.02 NO 22833 27442 Sundial; 'Mermaid Structure'.

NO22NW 7.03 NO 2282 2746 and NO 2287 2749 Statues; Garden Ornaments; Tracery; Font

NO22NW 7.04 NO 22749 27438 Sundial; 'Horse Head Sundial'.

NO22NW 7.05 NO 2271 2745 Kennels

NO22NW 7.06 NO 2266 2738 Dovecot

NO22NW 7.07 NO 2257 2724 Folly

NO22NW 7.08 NO 22958 27211 Walled Garden

NO22NW 7.09 NO 222 275 Farmsteading

NO22NW 7.10 NO 2331 2725 Lodge

NO22NW 7.11 NO 2291 2793 Sawmill

NO22NW 7.12 NO 22858 27601 Well

NO22NW 7.13 NO 22881 27642 Bridge

NO22NW 7.14 NO 2275 2755 Stables

NO22NW 7.15 NO 24570 26342 Lodge

NO22NW 7.16 NO 229 271 Paving

NO22NW 7.22 NO c. 22810 27423 Sundials

See also:

NO22NW 9 NO 2293 2716 Standing Stone (within policies)

NO22NW 20 NO c. 22 27 Beaker ('Fingask Estate')

Architect: Mills & Shephard large scale demolition and alterations 1925

William & David Anderson sculptors Scottish characters in garden.

(Undated) information in NMRS.

Fingask Castle is a seat of the Threeplands. It stood a siege in 1642 and was partially demolished in 1746. A portion of the old castle, however, bears the date 1194. It has been greatly enlarged and modernised since 1746.

T Hunter 1897.

The older parts of Fingask Castle at NO 2281 2745 are those portions of the NE and SE wings facing SE. The date 1194 is on a corbel stone at the SW corner at the end of the SE wing. However, the second figure of this date is a doubtful '1'. The slight curves of the digit indicate that it may have been intended as a '5' which would give the more reasonable date of 1594. A stone over the main door of the castle bears a coat of arms, the date 1674 and initials thus:

S O

PT EC

with the motto Ani Miset Fat.

Visited by OS (RDL), 16 October 1963.

Fingask Castle is a stepped L-plan tower-house of late 16th-century date which was extended in 1674 and subsequently restored, remodelled and enlarged in the 18th and 19th centuries; a number of these additions were removed about 1925. The tower itself (1594 on skew) stands three storeys and a garret in height and is of a random rubble build with sandstone quoins and dressings; the entrance-doorway, which has been remodelled, is in the E re-entrant angle and is defined by a stout edge-roll (the yett is preserved within). A triangular-pediment is in re-use at third floor level in the wing, and at the S angle of the wing, at first-floor level, there is a perpendicular wall dial. There are several wide-mouthed gunloops at ground-floor level. The ground-floor is vaulted; the kitchen was in the wing and the fireplace, wrought with a bullnosed moulding, has a salt-box in the jamb. The first and second floor interiors have been remodelled; the drawing room, however, retains its 18th-century panelling and the fireplace, which may be earlier, is wrought with a stepped, stout edge-roll moulding. Opening from the drawing room there is a mural chamber or strongroom. In 1674 the tower was converted to the T-plan by the addition of a block to the W re-entrance angle; the evidence for the date comes from a dormer-pediment in re-use in the main blocks which bears the date and the initials of Patrick Threipland and Eupheme Conqueror his wife; a second pediment, bearing the same initials but the date 1676, is in re-use at the back of the garage block to the NNW of the house.

The lands of Fingask are on record by 1164; in 1399 the estate was the property of a branch of the Bruces of Clackmannan and in 1672 it passed to the Threipland family.

Visited by RCAHMS (IMS), 21 June 1989.

Liber de Scon; Reg Reg Scot; J B Paul 1906.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions