Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Field Visit

Date 16 October 1963

Event ID 1112751

Category Recording

Type Field Visit

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/1112751

The older parts of Fingask Castle at NO 2281 2745 are those portions of the NE and SE wings facing SE. The date 1194 is on a corbel stone at the SW corner at the end of the SE wing. However, the second figure of this date is a doubtful '1'. The slight curves of the digit indicate that it may have been intended as a '5' which would give the more reasonable date of 1594. A stone over the main door of the castle bears a coat of arms, the date 1674 and initials thus:

S O

PT EC

with the motto Ani Miset Fat.

Visited by OS (RDL), 16 October 1963.

People and Organisations

References