Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Loch Faskally, Clunie Electricity Generating Station

Hydroelectric Power Station (Modern)

Site Name Loch Faskally, Clunie Electricity Generating Station

Classification Hydroelectric Power Station (Modern)

Alternative Name(s) Tummel Garry Hydro-electric Scheme

Canmore ID 171482

Site Number NN95NW 105

NGR NN 91267 59775

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Perth And Kinross
  • Parish Moulin
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District Perth And Kinross
  • Former County Perthshire

Archaeology Notes

NN95NW 105.00 9127 5977

Clunie Power Station [NAT]

OS 1:10,000 map, 1989.

NN95NW 105.01 NN 9108 5959 Surge Shaft

NN95NW 105.02 NN 9092 5978 Transformer Station

See also NN95NW 104.


Construction (1950)

Formally opened 1951.

Project (2007)

This project was undertaken to input site information listed in 'Civil engineering heritage: Scotland - Lowlands and Borders' by R Paxton and J Shipway, 2007.

Publication Account (2007)

From the Clunie dam (NN86SE 66), water is led to Clunie generating station through a two-mile long tunnel, horseshoe shaped in cross-section, with an equivalent diameter of 23 ft. A vivid impression of the size of the tunnel, the largest tunnel in Britain at the time, is given by the memorial arch of the same section above the power station. Approximately 400 000 tons of rock had to be excavated in its construction. The contractor was Cementation Co. Ltd.

From its outlet the main tunnel trifurcates, in steel, into branches each 1212 ft in diameter serving the three turbines. This remarkable trifurcation, now covered over, was made in the workshops of Sir Wm. Arrol & Co. The turbines are of 20.4MW capacity, each operating on a maximum head of 173 ft.

R Paxton and J Shipway

Reproduced from 'Civil Engineering heritage: Scotland - Lowlands and Borders' with kind permission of Thomas Telford Publishers.

Field Visit (2010)

This is a large power station receiving water via tunnel and pipeline from Loch Tummel. The station houses three turbines. The water from the tailrace exits into Loch Faskally, a man-made loch formed behind the dam and Power Station at Pitlochry. In addition to the turbine hall, this station was also the former control centre for the scheme and has offices and control rooms as well as workshops. There has been a degree of later alteration to the interior including the blocking of a door on axis with the main entrance which gave access to the turbine hall. In addition to the power station the site also contains a memorial arch at the entrance to the station car park which commemorates those who lost their lives during the construction of the scheme.This is a good example of a large power station incorporating a control centre for the whole scheme. The design is a confident modernist expression, in keeping with the contemporary opinion of the cutting edge nature of hydroelectricity. The original interior plan form of the station has been altered, but it retains a purity of design to the exterior. There is additional interest from the presence of the memorial arch. Electric Board Annual Reports (1943-1990); P L Payne, 1988; J Miller, 2002, 42: 88918 Scottish Hydro Electric, 2000, 18; J Gifford, 2007, 741


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions