Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Tummel-Garry hydroelectric power Scheme, opened 1951.

Date 25 October 2023

Event ID 1165300

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Note


The Tummel-Garry hydroelectric power Scheme

The second of the Hydro Board's schemes was an extension of the Grampian Electricity Company's scheme. The Clunie Dam was constructed at the east end of Loch Tummel, increasing its size. A tunnel connects to Clunie power station below the Falls of Tummel. A dam was built at the east end of Loch Errochty whose water was fed by a tunnel and pipeline to a power station at the head of Loch Tummel. Finally, the River Tummel was impounded at Pitlochry forming Loch Faskally. The power station here is built into the dam and incorporates a fish ladder to allow salmon to pass. Loch Faskally forms a balancing reservoir for fluctuations in flow due to the Clunie power station's operations.

The scheme produces a total of 150,000 kW. Work started in 1946 and experienced similar problems to Loch Sloy due to shortages of labour and material, being completed in 1951.

This account relates to the Scottish Hydro collection of photographic images held at HES, Edinburgh. Compiled by a volunteer, Mr George Walker in 2005.

Information from HES (Miriam McDonald), 25 October 2023.

People and Organisations