Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Cromarty, George Street, Lighthouse

Lighthouse (19th Century)

Site Name Cromarty, George Street, Lighthouse

Classification Lighthouse (19th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Cromarty Lighthouse; Cromarty, The Ness, Lighthouse; Cromarty Ness

Canmore ID 14461

Site Number NH76NE 38

NGR NH 78670 67735

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2024.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Cromarty
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Ross And Cromarty
  • Former County Ross And Cromarty

Archaeology Notes

NH76NE 38.00 78670 67735


(flashing white) [NAT]

OS (GIS) MasterMap, May 2010.

NH76NE 38.01 NH 7867 6774 sundial

For (associated) Lighthouse Keeper's Cottage (now Aberdeen University Lighthouse Field Studies Centre) at NH 78657 67743, see NH76NE 242.

(Location cited as NH 787 678). Cromarty Lighthouse: built 1846 by engineer Alan Stevenson. A typical lighthouse of this area, with a short circular tower upon a semi-circular single-storey base. The square paned lantern has a domed top. The Egyptian single-storey keeper's houses are singularly unspoiled.

J R Hume 1977.

The light was first lit in 1846, and converted to major automatic status in 1984. The white tower is 13m high.

K Allardyce and E M Hood 1986.


19th - 20th century AD.

Stable condition.

CFA/MORA Coastal Assessment Survey 1998.


Construction (1846)

Established in 1846, discontinued on 28 Feb 2006.

K Allardyce and E M Hood 1986

Modification (1985)

Automated in 1985.

K Allardyce and E M Hood 1986

Photographic Survey (30 April 2007)

Photographed by the Threatened Buildings Survey prior to sale.


Publication Account (2007)

The harbour is overlooked by Cromarty Lighthouse which, being well above sea level, required a tower only 42 ft high to achieve a range of about 14 miles. The lighthouse was designed by Alan Stevenson, built by David Mitchell of Montrose, and became operational in 1846. Its estimated cost including the other buildings was £3030.

The station was automated in 1985.

R Paxton and J Shipway, 2007.

Reproduced from 'Civil Engineering heritage: Scotland - Highlands and Islands' with kind permission from Thomas Telford Publisher


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions