Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Cromarty, George Street, Lighthouse View from S showing curved S front of lantern and tower

SC 570151

Description Cromarty, George Street, Lighthouse View from S showing curved S front of lantern and tower

Date 25/3/1980

Collection John R Hume

Catalogue Number SC 570151

Category On-line Digital Images

Scope and Content Cromarty Lighthouse, Ross and Cromarty This lighthouse is one of three designed by Alan Stevenson for the Northern Lighthouse Board, and built in 1846, to give guidance in the northern firths. The others are Chanonry Point, near Fortrose and Covesea Skerries, near Lossiemouth. This view shows the top of the lighthouse from the south west. The simple cast iron railing of the 'basket' is typical of Alan's work. Note the rectangular-paned lantern, of a pattern developed by Alan's father Robert, with dolphin-shaped grab handles. This lighthouse had been automated by 1980. The keepers' houses have more recently been leased to the University of Aberdeen for use by students studying the dolphins and porpoises of the Moray and Cromarty firths. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

External Reference H80/17/11

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/570151

Collection Hierarchy - Item Level

Collection Level (551 147) John R Hume

> Item Level (SC 570151) Cromarty, George Street, Lighthouse View from S showing curved S front of lantern and tower

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © HES. Reproduced courtesy of J R Hume

Licence Type: Permission to Reproduce

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions