Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Noss Head Lighthouse

Lighthouse (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Noss Head Lighthouse

Classification Lighthouse (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Sinclair's Bay

Canmore ID 9112

Site Number ND35NE 1

NGR ND 38812 55012

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/9112

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Wick
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Caithness
  • Former County Caithness

Archaeology Notes

ND35NE 1.00 38812 55012

Noss Head Lighthouse [NAT]

OS 1:10,000 map, 1985.

ND35NE 1.01 ND 38796 55006 Keepers' Houses

(Location cited as ND 388 550). Noss Head Lighthouse, established 1849, engineer Alan Stevenson. A standard-design short circular tower on a semicircular base, with corbelled walkway and domed diamond-paned lantern. The keepers' houses are in standard Egyptian style.

J R Hume 1977.

Noss Head lighthouse was built by A Stevenson and established in 1849, this site being preferred over proposed construction on Sarclet Head. It incorporated a new style of lantern with diagonal instead of vertical framing, this then becoming the Northern Lighthouse standard. The light was automated in 1987.

R W Munro 1979; K Allardyce 1998.

Completed for the Northern Lighthouse Board in 1849 by Alan Stevenson, Noss Head Lighthouse comprises a circular-section tower built from dressed ashlar, with a diagonal-paned lantern. The tower is mounted above a semi-circular single-storeyed building, and its Egyptian-style doorway matches those of the adjacent keeper's houses. The light was automated in 1987, and the ancillary buildings were subsequently sold and renovated to become the Clan Sinclair Study Centre.

Information from RCAHMS (MKO), 2002.

Activities

Construction (1849)

Light established in 1849.

K Allardyce 1998

Modification (1987)

Automated in 1987.

K Allardyce 1998

Field Visit (2002)

Completed for the Northern Lighthouse Board in 1849 by Alan Stevenson, Noss Head Lighthouse comprises a circular-section tower built from dressed ashlar, with a diagonal-paned lantern. The tower is mounted above a semi-circular single-storeyed building, and its Egyptian-style doorway matches those of the adjacent keeper's houses. The light was automated in 1987, and the ancillary buildings were subsequently sold and renovated to become the Clan Sinclair Study Centre.

Information from RCAHMS (MKO), 2002.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions