Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Glasgow, Dalmarnock Road, Dalmarnock Bridge

Road Bridge (19th Century)

Site Name Glasgow, Dalmarnock Road, Dalmarnock Bridge

Classification Road Bridge (19th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Rutherglen; River Clyde

Canmore ID 83884

Site Number NS66SW 102

NGR NS 61726 62654

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/83884

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Glasgow, City Of
  • Parish Glasgow (City Of Glasgow)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District City Of Glasgow
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Archaeology Notes

NS66SW 102 61726 62654

Location formerly cited as NS 6172 6265.

Formerly also entered as NS66SW 877 at cited location NS 61722 62654.

For predecessor bridges (at the same location), see NS66SW 964.

For nearby barrage balloon site (NS c. 6177 6249), see NS66SW 824.

Dalmarnock Bridge [NAT]

OS 1:1250 map, 1973.

Dalmarnock Bridge, Dalmarnock Road, built 1889-91, Crouch and Hogg, engineers. A five-span iron girder bridge on stone piers, with cast-iron quatrefoil panels hiding the structural members and a cast-iron balustrade of Gothic arches. The stonework of the piers is carried up to balustrade level and cast-iron lamp-posts are mounted on top.

J R Hume 1974

Dalmarnock Bridge, 1889-91. Engineer Crouch and Hogg; contractor A H Boyle of Bonnybridge; iron and steel fabricators Jardine and Co of Motherwell. A perfectly horizontal five-span bridge of riveted steel plate girders hidden behind cast iron fascia panels with repeating quatrefoil motif. The piers, founded on iron caissons, are of sandstone with a granite impost, the sandstone then extended up in moulded panels to the top of the parapet, which is formed of cast iron Gothic arcading. On the sides of the abutments, pairs of polished pink granite columns.

E Williamson, A Riches and M Higgs 1990.

This bridge carries Dalmarnock Road across the River Clyde, which here forms the boundary between the parishes of Glasgow (to the N) and Rutherglen (to the S).

The cited location defines the centre of the span, but the available map evidence suggests that the bridge extends from NS c. 61717 62691 to NS c. 61732 62611.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 14 December 2005.

Activities

Project (2007)

This project was undertaken to input site information listed in 'Civil engineering heritage: Scotland - Lowlands and Borders' by R Paxton and J Shipway, 2007.

Publication Account (2007)

This 30 ft wide bridge erected from 1889–91 consists of five spans of 54 ft 6 in. carried on six plate girders. Its piers are founded on concrete-filled wrought-iron caissons 63 ft by 9 ft in plan at the cutting edge, sunk under

compressed air to a depth of 56 ft below low water level. The cost was £30 500. The engineers were Crouch & Hogg and the contractor, A. H. Boyle, Bonnybridge. The steelwork was sublet to Goodwins, Jardine and Co., Motherwell, and the cast ironwork to W. MacFarlane and Co., Glasgow.

The bridge replaced a wooden one of 1820–21, superseding a ford, which was replaced by another timber

bridge in 1848. This bridge, in turn, was renewed in 1887, after a temporary timber bridge with ten spans of 32 ft costing £1105 had been erected alongside by Alex. Eadie to accommodate traffic while the present bridge was being built. These bridges confirm about three decades as the life of a timber bridge in the Scottish climate.

The 1891 bridge deck was replaced by Glasgow City Council Roads in 1997 with weather resistant steel beams

and a reinforced concrete deck. The original masonry, cast-iron parapets and ornamental outer beam fascia

panels were refurbished. The contractor was Mackenzie Construction, Glasgow, and the cost £145 000.

R Paxton and J Shipway 2007

Reproduced from 'Civil Engineering heritage: Scotland - Lowlands and Borders' with kind permission of Thomas Telford Publishers.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions