Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Canna, Church Of Scotland

Burial Ground (Period Unassigned), Church (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Canna, Church Of Scotland

Classification Burial Ground (Period Unassigned), Church (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Canna, Presbyterian Church; Memorial Church; Isle Of Canna, Church Of Scotland; Canna Harbour

Canmore ID 76044

Site Number NG20NE 23

NGR NG 27663 05380

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/76044

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
© Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Small Isles
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Lochaber
  • Former County Inverness-shire

Recording Your Heritage Online

Church of Scotland, Peter MacGregor Chalmers, 1914 Simple rubble church distinguished by its round tapering Irish tower, a landmark for the visiting fishermen for whom the church was intended. It was built as a memorial to Robert Thom. Ornate wrought-iron gate to walled burial ground added 1969.

Taken from "Western Seaboard: An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Mary Miers, 2008. Published by the Rutland Press http://www.rias.org.uk

Archaeology Notes

NG20NE 23 27693 05380

For discovery of Viking bronze pin, see NG20NE 12.

Church of Scotland, by P MacGregor Chalmers, 1912-14. Beautifully simple lancet-windowed rubble rectangle. Pencil-like W tower of Brechin Cathedral tower type. Inside, a pointed tunnel-vault.

J Gifford 1992.

This small rectangular church was built as a memorial to Robert Thom by his son Allan G Thom between the years 1912 and 1914 and was designed by P MacGregor Chalmers; it lies above the track leading to the pier and overlooks Canna Harbour. The church is oriented from ENE to WSW and is built of random rubble with pinnings; its roof is of stone, rendered externally, but visible internally as a pointed tunnel-vault. It is entered by a door at the SW end of the S wall, and has narrow pointed leaded windows, three in each side and two in either gable end. A round tower lies central to the W gable end, and is vented by similar pointed openings with slate louvres.

The church lies within a stone-walled burial-ground, which contains only one granite headstone, dedicated to Allan Gilmour Thom and his wife Mary Cameron.

A fine ornamental wrought-iron gate in the W wall provides access to the burial-ground. It has a central oval panel containing the outline of a cross, which, below its arms, is flanked by two smaller infilled panels, one with three birds, the other with three fishes. The gate was presented by Wallace Menzies and was dedicated at a service held in August 1969.

Visited by RCAHMS (ARG), 13 August 1996

J L Campbell 1984.

Architecture Notes

Architect: Dr. Peter McGregor Chalmers 1912-1914

Activities

Photographic Survey (July 1955)

Photographs of buildings on Canna by the Scottish National Buildings Record in July 1955.

Aerial Photography (2 September 1994)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions