Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Canna, Church of Scotland. View from WSW. Digital image of C 45203 CN

SC 794191

Description Canna, Church of Scotland. View from WSW. Digital image of C 45203 CN

Date 6/1994

Collection RCAHMS

Catalogue Number SC 794191

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of C 45203 CN

Scope and Content Church of Scotland, Canna, Highland, from west-south-west This is the entrance to the burial ground and the Church of Scotland on Canna. The church, which dates to 1913, was designed by Peter MacGregor Chalmers (1859-1911) and it is dominated by a pencil-shaped tower on the west gable. The burial-ground is surrounded by a stone wall. In Martin Martin's 'A Description of the Western Isles of Scotland', first published in 1703 and again in 1716, he writes that Canna was entirely or nearly entirely Catholic. In 1728, of the 236 people on Canna only 16 were not Catholic. However, by 1815, of the 400 inhabitants, only one family was Catholic. Canna is one of the most westerly of the Small Isles and is situated to the north-west of Rhum. The island is low-lying and is a mixture of fertile ground, bog and moorland. In 1981 Canna was gifted to The National Trust for Scotland by Dr J L Campbell. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/794191

Collection Hierarchy - Item Level

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions