Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Dundee, Princes Street, Upper Dens Mills

Mill (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Dundee, Princes Street, Upper Dens Mills

Classification Mill (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Dens Flax Works; Dens Brae; Victoria Road; Upper Dens Works

Canmore ID 68106

Site Number NO43SW 104

NGR NO 40777 30847

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/68106

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Dundee, City Of
  • Parish Dundee (Dundee, City Of)
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District City Of Dundee
  • Former County Angus

Archaeology Notes

NO43SW 104 40777 30847

(Location cited as NO 408 309). Dens Jute Works. Upper Dens Mills consists of a four-storey and attic, 2- by 23-bay rubble building, dating from 1850, with a stair tower surmounted by a bellcote and urn finials, and more modern 3-storey and 3-storey and attic ranges. Lower Dens is a 5-storey and attic, 4- by 5-bay block, with a cast-iron bellcote, built 1865-6 by engineer P Carmichael. Lower Dens is of fireproof jack arch construction with Gothic cast-iron roof-trusses.

J R Hume 1977.

Architecture Notes

NMRS REFERENCE:

Dundee, Princes Street, Upper Dens Works.

Architect: Peter Carmichael 1850

Activities

Photographic Survey (2010)

Photographed by RCAHMS on behalf of the Buildings of Scotland Trust.

Publication Account (2013)

Founded in 1822 by Baxter Bros, world’s largest linen sailcloth and canvas manufacturers. Closed in 1978, Upper Dens Works (NO 40777 30847,

NO43SW 104) was developed by Hillcrest Housing Association in 1983-5. A spired fireproof spinning mill, engineered by Umpherston and Kerr in 1833,

and doubled by Randolph and Elder (Glasgow) in 1850, has a double engine house fronted by tripartite windows. The weaving shed, 1836, was on the terrace above a stone gothic arch. North of Victoria St, on a triple-arched bridge over Dens Burn, the works foundry of 1864 was extended as

Eagle Jute Mills (Victoria Street, NO 31045, NO43SW 85) in 1930.

M Watson, 2013

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions