Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

Publication Account

Date 2013

Event ID 967404

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Publication Account

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/967404

Founded in 1822 by Baxter Bros, world’s largest linen sailcloth and canvas manufacturers. Closed in 1978, Upper Dens Works (NO 40777 30847,

NO43SW 104) was developed by Hillcrest Housing Association in 1983-5. A spired fireproof spinning mill, engineered by Umpherston and Kerr in 1833,

and doubled by Randolph and Elder (Glasgow) in 1850, has a double engine house fronted by tripartite windows. The weaving shed, 1836, was on the terrace above a stone gothic arch. North of Victoria St, on a triple-arched bridge over Dens Burn, the works foundry of 1864 was extended as

Eagle Jute Mills (Victoria Street, NO 31045, NO43SW 85) in 1930.

M Watson, 2013

People and Organisations

References