Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Dundee, Princes Street, Upper Dens Mills View from SE of old block showing SSE front of engine bay

SC 543480

Description Dundee, Princes Street, Upper Dens Mills View from SE of old block showing SSE front of engine bay

Date 17/5/1978

Collection John R Hume

Catalogue Number SC 543480

Category On-line Digital Images

Scope and Content Upper Dens Factory, Dundee, Angus This linen-weaving factory was founded by Baxter Brothers, and became part of one of the largest linen complexes in the world, with yarn spun in the Lower Dens Mill, and woven and finished in the Upper Dens Factory. This view shows the central bays of the Victoria Road frontage of the 1850 block. The section with the three-light windows originally housed the steam beam engines which drove the factory. The Dens complex, by that time in the ownership of Low and Bonar, was closed in 1978. Subsequently the 1850 factory was converted into flats, and most of the rest of the Upper Dens Factory was demolished. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

External Reference H78/111/9

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/543480

Collection Hierarchy - Item Level

Collection Level (551 147) John R Hume

> Item Level (SC 543480) Dundee, Princes Street, Upper Dens Mills View from SE of old block showing SSE front of engine bay

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © HES. Reproduced courtesy of J R Hume

Licence Type: Permission to Reproduce

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions