Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, Morningside, Hermitage Of Braid

Villa (18th Century)

Site Name Edinburgh, Morningside, Hermitage Of Braid

Classification Villa (18th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Hermitage Of Braid House; Braid Road; Blackford Hill Public Park; Hermitage Glen

Canmore ID 52394

Site Number NT27SE 351

NGR NT 25050 70302

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/52394

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Architecture Notes

NT27SE 351 25050 70302

Hermitage of Braid House [NAT]

OS (GIS) MasterMap, June 2010.

For nearby (and presumably associated) icehouse (NT 25051 70247), see NT27SE 438.

For (presumably associated) dovecot at NT 24842 70301, see NT27SW 28.

For associated lodge (69B Braid Road: NT 24472 70264), see NT27SW 1650.

For (presumably associated) footbridge (over Braid Burn, at NT 24473 70228), see NT27SW 1651.

NMRS REFERENCE:

From item in Archibald Craig scrapbooks (4/57/2):

This beautiful spot is to the southward of the Borough-muir, about two miles from the city of Edinburgh, and it is the delightful residence of Mr. gordon. It stands concealed in a narrow vale, between two ranges of hills of a low and irregular figure, and is surrounded with wood. The small rivulet which has the name of Braid burn glides gently through the middle of the vale in a meandering direction. This pleasant dwelling is surrounded by a stone wall, with a variety of trees and an intermixture of underwood. Plantations also ornament the eminences which rise on each side of it; while the naked rocks, which peep in different places through the trees, certainly add considerably to the romantic nature of the scenery. These works of nature far transcend those of art; the artificial plots and little niceties of botanical ingenuity dwindle into nothing and insignificance before them. The human mind is chiefly delighted with the contemplation of such objects as are sublime or beautiful. The walk along the burn of Braid is romantic in the highest degree.

The admirer of nature's work will find many things justly worthy of his contemplation. Blackford hill rises near it on one side. Pentland heights overhang it at a small distance on the other. On the south west are Braid-crags, and a tract of open pasture grounds.

REFERENCE:

Edinburgh Public Library:

Accession 42374 - 1 photograph circa 1890

NMRS PHOTOGRAPHS:

Colour slide - missing at time of upgrade 15.2.1999

NMRS MISCELLANEOUS:

2 poems Rebecca Carmichael Edin 1790 Lines written in Hermitage of Braid. Quite awful but worth looking at if anyone doing this garden. - IRG

- 2 newscuts

(Undated) information in NMRS.

Used as a scout hostel for some years: now a countryside information centre.

J M Wallace 1987.

Activities

Project (1997)

The Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (http://www.pmsa.org.uk/) set up a National Recording Project in 1997 with the aim of making a survey of public monuments and sculpture in Britain ranging from medieval monuments to the most contemporary works. Information from the Edinburgh project was added to the RCAHMS database in October 2010 and again in 2012.

The PMSA (Public Monuments and Sculpture Association) Edinburgh Sculpture Project has been supported by Eastern Photocolour, Edinburgh College of Art, the Edinburgh World Heritage Trust, Historic Scotland, the Hope Scott Trust, The Old Edinburgh Club, the Pilgrim Trust, the RCAHMS, and the Scottish Archive Network.

Field Visit (21 March 2000)

A square pedestal surmounted by a bronze mounting plate for an armillary sphere assembly (removed).

An armillary sphere is an ancient instrument consisting of an arrangement of rings, all of which are circles of the same sphere, used to show the relative positions of the celestial equator, ecliptic, and other circles on the celestial sphere.

Inscriptions : On the west face of the pedestal, applied bronze lettering, centred alignment:

HERMITAGE / OF / BRAID

On the south face of the pedestal, applied bronze lettering, justified alignment:

THE HOUSE AND GROUNDS / WERE GIFTED TO THE / CITY OF EDINBURGH BY / JOHN McDOUGAL ESQ. / AND OPENED ON 10TH JUNE / 1938 BY THE RT. HON. / SIR LOUIS S. GUMLEY / LORD PROVOST.

Signatures : None

Information from Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (PMSA Work Ref : EDIN0087)

Field Visit (21 March 2000)

Five individual carvings of creatures: mole, badger, fox, fish and clam. Each has been carved from a single piece of wood (tree trunks), laid horizontally to facilitate and encourage children to sit astride the creature. All works, with the exception of the clam are located in a feature garden adjacent to the nature trail. The clam is sited adjacent to the south elevation of Hermitage of Braid House.

Commissioned as part of a project with musician-in-residence, the sculptures were intended to function as drums as well as play seats.

Inspected By : D. Lee

Inscriptions : None

Signatures : None

Design period : c. c.1991

Year of unveiling : c.1991

Information from Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (PMSA Work Ref : EDIN0463)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions