Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Inverkeithing, 16-18 Church Street, Fordell's Lodging

Town House (17th Century)

Site Name Inverkeithing, 16-18 Church Street, Fordell's Lodging

Classification Town House (17th Century)

Canmore ID 51005

Site Number NT18SW 80

NGR NT 13018 82973

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/51005

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Fife
  • Parish Inverkeithing
  • Former Region Fife
  • Former District Dunfermline
  • Former County Fife

Archaeology Notes

NT18SW 80 13018 82973

Dates from the 17th century, having been built as a town house by Sir John Henderson of Fordell between 1666, when he acquired the pre-existing property, and 1671 when the building is first designated by its present name. On plan it is L-shaped, the wing lying at the back in alignment with the S gable. A two-storeyed turret projects from the NE angle of the main block. The house is three storeys in height, the upper storey being lit by semi-dormers. It is entered at first-floor level through the wing. The interior has recently been remodelled as a church hall.

RCAHMS 1933, visited 1930.

Activities

Desk Based Assessment (19 July 2011)

A desk based assessment of this building was made by RCAHMS Threatened Building Survey following a consent/planning application for alteration works at the site being submitted to the local authority.

The site will be prioritised for a field visit by TBS staff.

Planning Application ref – 11/01667/LBC

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions