Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Glasgow, Partick, Castlebank Street, Meadowside Granary

Granary (20th Century)

Site Name Glasgow, Partick, Castlebank Street, Meadowside Granary

Classification Granary (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Meadowside Granaries; Meadowside Quay; Whiteinch; River Clyde

Canmore ID 44070

Site Number NS56NE 157

NGR NS 5502 6641

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/44070

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Glasgow, City Of
  • Parish Govan (City Of Glasgow)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District City Of Glasgow
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Archaeology Notes

NS56NE 157 5502 6641

Meadowside Granary, Castlebank St. The first part of this very large granary was built 1911-13 for the Clyde Navigation Trust, William Alston engineer (£130,000). The capacity of the first part is 31,000 tons, and it is 13 storeys high, 6 by 13 bays. The adjacent quay was built under an Act of 1907.

J R Hume 1974.

Along Castlebank Steet, there loom the Maedowside Granaries,, Partick's most dramatic structure by far, but which, sadly, closed in 1988. The first granary (of 13 bays and 13 storeys) was built in brick for the Clyde Navigation Trust in 1911-13 by the engineer William Alston. Extended E and W in 1936-7, creating a colossal 34-bay, 13-torey building.

In 1960 and 1967 two more granaries were built to the W for what was then the Clyde Port Authority.

E Williamson, A Riches and M Higgs 1990.

This bulding has been demolished.

Information from RCAHMS (MKO), 14 December 2005.

Activities

Desk Based Assessment (October 2001)

Archaeological desk based study carried out on Glasgow Harbour by FIRAT Archaeological Services.

Desk Based Assessment (14 July 2017)

The Meadowside Granary was located on the north bank of the River Clyde, behind the goods shed that ran along the front edge of Meadowside Quay (NS56NW 157). Built in 1913-14 by engineer William Alston for the Clyde Navigation Trust, it was the most important grain store in the country during WWI. It was brick-faced, 13-storeys high and 6- by 13-bays with a capacity of 31,000 tons. Originally grain was lifted from ships by bucket elevators, but in 1922 a pneumatic suction elevator was installed to clear grain from the bottom of ships holds (Riddell 1979, 270). The granary was extended east and west between 1936 and 1937, creating a 34-bay, 13-storey building and adding a further 15,000 tons in capacity. Further extensions westwards were added in 1960 and 1967 for what was (after 1965) the Clyde Port Authority. The granaries closed in 1988 and were demolished in 2002-3 as part of the redevelopment of Glasgow Harbour, and a housing and retail development.

Information from HES Survey and Recording (AMcC) 14 July 2017.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions