Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Johnstone, Kilbarchan Road, Cartside Mill

Cotton Mill (Period Unassigned), Lade (Period Unassigned), Paper Mill (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Johnstone, Kilbarchan Road, Cartside Mill

Classification Cotton Mill (Period Unassigned), Lade (Period Unassigned), Paper Mill (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Smith And Mclaurin; Milliken Park; Kilbarchan

Canmore ID 43225

Site Number NS46SW 27

NGR NS 41526 62548

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/43225

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Renfrewshire
  • Parish Paisley (Renfrew)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Renfrew
  • Former County Renfrewshire

Archaeology Notes

NS46SW 27 4151 6253

(Location cited as NS 415 625). Cartside Mill, Milliken Park, built c. 1790. One of the finest surviving early Scottish cotton mills, a 6-storey and attic, 20-bay rubble building with margins. On the south frontage are two semi-octagonal bays and on the north, in the same position, are Palladian windows. Internally, slender cast-iron columns support longitudinal wooden beams, which support cross beams and wooden floors. Now houses paper-coating machines with festoon dryers. There was originally a central waterwheel, later replaced by a turbine, which is now removed. The lade, however, is maintained to provide process water. At the rear is a two-storey and attic, 27-bay block, and in front a more modern three-storey, 6- by 14-bay, flat-roofed brick block.

J R Hume 1976.

Activities

Note (20 July 2012)

Cartside Mill 1790 block has been taken down. The adjacent mill block has been demolished and the site altered.

Information from RCAHMS (MMD) 20 July 2012.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions