Johnstone, Kilbarchan Road, Cartside Mills, Interior View
SC 492505
Description Johnstone, Kilbarchan Road, Cartside Mills, Interior View
Date 18/3/1974
Collection Papers of Professor John R Hume, economic and industrial historian, Glasgow, Scotland
Catalogue Number SC 492505
Category On-line Digital Images
Scope and Content Cartside Mills, Milliken Park, Renfrewshire (Renfrewshire council area) Cartside Mill was built for cotton spinning in 1793, and was one of the finest mills of its time. It was one of the earliest in Scotland built to house mules. In the late 19th century it was taken over by Smith and Maclaurin, paper converters. This view shows the interior of one of the flats in the mill, which had been adapted for drying coated paper by suspending it in festoons from poles on an overhead track. The pipes along the floor were heated by steam to aid drying. Smith and Maclaurin's business involved buying paper from mills and coating it with a wide variety of materials to make it suitable for printing and other purposes The 1793 mill was demolished in the early 1990s. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.
External Reference H74/11/16
Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/492505
File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap
Attribution: © Copyright: HES (Reproduced courtesy of J R Hume)
Licence Type: Permission Required
You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.
Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]