Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Helensburgh, Upper Colquhoun Street, The Hill House

Boundary Wall(S) (20th Century), Gate(S) (20th Century), House (20th Century)

Site Name Helensburgh, Upper Colquhoun Street, The Hill House

Classification Boundary Wall(S) (20th Century), Gate(S) (20th Century), House (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Hill House

Canmore ID 42505

Site Number NS38SW 17

NGR NS 30055 83817

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/42505

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images


First 100 images shown. See the Collections panel (below) for a link to all digital images.

Administrative Areas

  • Council Argyll And Bute
  • Parish Rhu
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Dumbarton
  • Former County Dunbartonshire

Archaeology Notes

NS38SW 17.00 30035 83817

NS38SW 17.01 Outbuildings, Garage

NS38SW 17.02 Outbuildings, Gardener's Cottage and Stable

Architecture Notes

REFERENCE:

Architect: Charles Rennie Mackintosh 1902, (Honeyman, Keppie & Mackintosh)

Activities

Publication Account (1985)

The appropriately named Hill House stands above Helensburgh and commands extensive views to the south over the Firth of Clyde. It was Charles Rennie Mackintosh's major domestic commission, and the house along with most of its original furniture and fittings are now in the care of the National Trust forScotland.

The house was built between 1902-4 for W W Blackie, the Glasgow publisher, and it was designed as a family home, but one in which WaIter Blackie could also have privacy to entertain clients without disrupting the rest of the household.

From the exterior the house seems austere, even severe, with its plain harling and lack of ornament, but its interest is derived from the combination of traditional Scottish features with details that are clearly modem. Like Brodick Castle (no. 23), the interior is in complete contrast, containing a wealth of decorative detail with the majority of the furniture and fittings also designed by Mackintosh. Each of the rooms is carefully composed, using simple overall designs to contrast with geometric patterns and highlighted by small splashes of colour.

Information from ‘Exploring Scotland’s Heritage: The Clyde Estuary and Central Region’, (1985).

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions