Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Poltalloch

Cist (Bronze Age)

Site Name Poltalloch

Classification Cist (Bronze Age)

Alternative Name(s) Poltalloch Estate; North Lodge; Bruach Na Cuirte

Canmore ID 39500

Site Number NR89NW 56

NGR NR 8230 9760

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/39500

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Argyll And Bute
  • Parish Kilmartin
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Argyll And Bute
  • Former County Argyll

Archaeology Notes (1977)

NR89NW 56 8230 9760

(NR 825 975) At the edge of the steep bank of Bruach na Cuirte overlooking the lodge is a cist measuring 4'4" x 2' x 2'6". Nothing was found in the cist which had been opened previously. One or two short pits were dug on the level ground above and short flagstones were found which may have been adjacent to cist covers. The side of the cist is exposed.

Sources: J H Craw 1929; M Campbell and M Sandeman 1964.

NR 8229 9761. This cist, exposed in the side of a quarry, is set well below ground level and there is no evidence to show that it was covered by a cairn.

Surveyed at 1/2500.

Visited by OS (IA), 26 April 1973.

As described in the previous information.

Surveyed at 1/2500.

Visited by OS (TRG), 15 February 1977.

Activities

Field Visit (April 1984)

A single cist is visible on the edge of a gravel terrace, about 0.5m below present ground level, 65m WNW of North Lodge. Aligned NE and SW, it measures 1.34m by about 0.6m and 0.64m in depth internally. The SE side-slab has fallen outwards, revealing a groove close to each end with a distance of 1.05m between them, while the NW side-slab has a slight rebate at its NE end and what may be a groove concealed by the SW end-slab. The capstone, which is still in position, is only partly visible. When the cist was investigated in 1928, it had already been opened, and no finds were made (Campbell and Sandeman 1964; Craw 1929).

RCAHMS 1988, visited April 1984.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions