Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Dunmore

Fort (Period Unassigned), Well (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Dunmore

Classification Fort (Period Unassigned), Well (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Dun More; Bochastle

Canmore ID 24375

Site Number NN60NW 7

NGR NN 6014 0759

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/24375

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Stirling
  • Parish Callander
  • Former Region Central
  • Former District Stirling
  • Former County Perthshire

Archaeology Notes

NN60NW 7 6014 0759.

(NN 6014 0759) Dunmore (NR), Well (NR)

OS 6" map, (1958)

Dunmore (also known as An Dun (Maclagan 1873) and Dun bo chaistel (New Statistical Account {NSA 1845}) is a fine example of a fort in which a semi-oval fortification defends the accessible side, the other side or base resting on the edge of a precipitous bank. The fortifications comprise four parallel circular banks with large stones embedded in them, and it is probable that they are really stone walls overgrown with turf. They vary in height from 6 - 10ft. The inner area, which contains a filled-in well, is c 180ft N-S by 150ft E-W (Christison 1900).

A whetstone, found in 1964 within the fort area, was presented to Stirling Museum (Thomson 1964).

Loose vitrified material was found lying in the well and in a modern cairn near the well; also in situ in the second rampart from the interior on the west.

NSA 1845; C Maclagan 1873; D Christison 1900; J K Thomson 1964; Information from RCAHMS TS, 1957.

Dunmore, a fort, is generally as planned and described by Christison. A fifth line of defence in the form of a scarp or terrace can be traced at the foot of the ramparts on the west side. The entrance is uncertain but access was probably gained at either end of the ramparts. There is an apparent annexe to the fort at the base of the north side which may be contemporary. It consists of a single bank of earth and stone, 1.7m high externally and 0.7m high internally, with well-defined entrance in the SW corner; the access, if any, from this annexe to the fort is uncertain.

The well is a water-filled hollow about 2.0m in diameter.

Resurveyed at 1/2500.

The whetstone is on exhibition in the Smith Institute, Stirling.

Visited by OS (R D) 15 October 1968.

NN 601 075 This fort occupies the summit of a steep hill and is defended on the N, S and W by four or possibly five walls, and on the E by precipitous slopes. At least one of the walls shows signs of vitrifaction and there is what may be a contemporary annexe on the N.

RCAHMS 1979, visited December 1977

Activities

Field Visit (10 June 1957)

This site was included within the RCAHMS Marginal Land Survey (1950-1962), an unpublished rescue project. Site descriptions, organised by county, are available to view online - see the searchable PDF in 'Digital Items'. These vary from short notes, to lengthy and full descriptions. Contemporary plane-table surveys and inked drawings, where available, can be viewed online in most cases - see 'Digital Images'. The original typecripts, notebooks and drawings can also be viewed in the RCAHMS search room.

Information from RCAHMS (GFG) 19 July 2013.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions