Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Glenlivet Distillery

Distillery (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Glenlivet Distillery

Classification Distillery (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) The Glenlivet Distillery; Drummin Glenlivet; Minmore

Canmore ID 15975

Site Number NJ12NE 9

NGR NJ 19525 28885

NGR Description Centred NJ 19525 28885

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/15975

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Moray
  • Parish Inveravon
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District Moray
  • Former County Banffshire

Accessing Scotland's Past Project

The Glenlivet Distillery was founded in 1824, and moved to its present location in 1858. Since then it has undergone considerable modernisation, though some interesting buildings of late nineteenth-century date still survive. These include three ranges of bonded warehouses, a two-storeyed office block and a malt barn, which is now in use as a visitor centre.

The bonded warehouses, where the whisky is stored in secure conditions as it matures, are amongst the oldest examples to survive in Scotland. They can be identified by their unusual arrangement of windows, which consists of a larger central window of a pointed, quasi-medieval Gothic design, flanked on either side by smaller, circular windows.

Text prepared by RCAHMS as part of the Accessing Scotland's Past project

Archaeology Notes

NJ12NE 9.00 centred 19525 28885

The Glenlivet Distillery [NAT]

OS (GIS) MasterMap, July 2010.

NJ12NE 9.01 Centred NJ 19524 28740 Houses (Workers' Houses)

Not to be confused with Glenlivet, Old Distillery (NJ 187 283), for which see NJ12NE 24.

(Location cited as NJ 196 290). The Glenlivet Distillery. Founded 1824. Much of this complex is modern, but there are two 3-bay and one 4-bay ranges of bonded stores built in 1880, 1894 and 1897, and the 2-storey office block is also of late 19th-century design. The bonded stores are 1-storey and attic, with each bay of the upper floor lit by a Gothic window flanked by circular windows.

J R Hume 1977.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions