Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Tain, Station Road, Station

Railway Station (19th Century)

Site Name Tain, Station Road, Station

Classification Railway Station (19th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Tain Railway Station

Canmore ID 14708

Site Number NH78SE 35

NGR NH 78182 82373

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/14708

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Tain
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Ross And Cromarty
  • Former County Ross And Cromarty

Archaeology Notes

NH78SE 35.00 78182 82373

Tain Station [NAT]

OS (GIS) MasterMap, June 2009.

NH78SE 35.01 NH 78140 82394 Hand crane [unverified location]

NH78SE 35.02 NH 78166 82402 Footbridge

For (associated) Railway Cottages (NH 78246 82309), see NH78SE 229.

Location formerly entered as NH 78193 82372.

(Location cited as NH 782 284). Tain station, opened 1864 by the Inverness and Aberdeen Junction Railway. A two-platform through station. The down platform building is a low single-storey structure on an H-plan, with a platform awning between the wings. There is a lattice-girder footbridge linking the platform[s].

In the goods yard area standard wooden goods shed, and a modern hand crane.

J R Hume 1977

Opened in 1864 for the Highland Railway, the station comprises a single-storeyed 'H'-plan, rubble-built building which faces onto the north-bound platform. In 2002, although the station was still in use, the building itself was disused, and suffering from vandalism, prompting an RCAHMS photographic survey.

Information from RCAHMS (MKO), 2003.

The intermediate station on the Inverness - Wick and Thurso ('Far North') line of the (former) Highland Rly was opened by the Inverness and Aberdeen Junction Rly on 1 June 1864. It passed to the London, Midland and Scottish Rly at grouping (1923), and remains in regular use by passenger traffic.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 29 June 2009.

R V J Butt 1995.

Activities

Publication Account (2009)

The railway’s arrival, with its pretty station by Joseph Mitchell (fig 23),469 necessitated a new service sector to deal with an influx of visitors who used the new link to explore a previously inaccessible part of the country. Among early visitors were the Prince and Princess of Wales in 1866, followed by Queen Victoria in 1872.

Information from ‘The Scottish Burgh Survey, Historic Tain: Archaeology and Development’, (2009).

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions