Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Lennox Castle, Hospital

Country House (19th Century), Hospital (First World War), Hospital (20th Century)

Site Name Lennox Castle, Hospital

Classification Country House (19th Century), Hospital (First World War), Hospital (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Mental Defectives Hospital; Asylum; Lennox Castle Policies; Lennox Castle Auxiliary Hospital

Canmore ID 131504

Site Number NS67NW 34

NGR NS 60585 78301

NGR Description Centred NS 60585 78301

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/131504

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council East Dunbartonshire
  • Parish Campsie
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Strathkelvin
  • Former County Stirlingshire

Architecture Notes

NS67NW 34.00 centred 60585 78301

NS67NW 34.01 6081 7821 Women's Refectory Block

NS67NW 34.02 6074 7816 Women's Dormitory Blocks

NS67NW 34.03 6097 7815 Laundry Block

NS67NW 34.04 6096 7820 Women's Workshops

NS67NW 34.05 6113 7828 Tea-room and Shop

NS67NW 34.06 6108 7808 Administration and Assembly Block

NS67NW 34.07 6149 7848 Men's Refectory Block

NS67NW 34.08 6148 7852 Men's Workshop Blocks

NS67NW 34.09 6149 7839 Men's Dormitory Blocks

NS67NW 34.10 6103 7846 Mortuary Block

NS67NW 34.11 6110 7842 Hospital and Admission Block

NS67NW 34.12 6110 7848 Isolation Block

NS67NW 34.13 6157 7832 Sports Pavilion

NS67NW 34.14 6119 7803 Garage

NS67NW 34.15 6159 7808 Netherton Oval

NS67NW 34.16 6157 7784 South Gate Lodge

NS67NW 34.17 6132 7851 Boiler House

NS67NW 34.18 6078 7789 The White House

NS67NW 34.19 6075 7811 Ward 19

NS67NW 34.20 6112 7812 Stores Building

NS67NW 34.21 6151 7859 Bridge

See also Woodhead House (NS67NW 8), at NS 60632 78386.

NMRS REFERENCE

Owner: Stirling County Council

Architect: David Hamilton 1837-41 (Norman Style)

EXTERNAL REFERENCE

SRO

NRA (S) 616 (see p. 18) Box 5. Bundle 3.

Accs of Mr Hay, housepainter, Edin for painting Lennox Castle, 1840-43.

Possibly also (p. 87) section 12 no. 11. Specs accs & related papers for painter work. 1840-43.

(Undated) information in NMRS.

Site Management (23 December 1992)

Large 3 storey red sandstone mansion built in Norman castle style. The walls are castellated and battlemented, and an imposing porte-cochere frames the northern entrance. 4 storey pavilions stand at each corner and, along with the 5 storey tower, display decorative embattled parapets. A profusion of round-headed windows with dripmoulds and glazing bars adorns the facade. Pitched, slated roofs are concealed behind crenellated parapets. An enclosed courtyard lies to the west side. The interior features some fine plasterwork, timber mouldings, shutters, and other decorative features.

In April 1925 Glasgow Parish Council resolved to build a new Mental Deficiency Institution under the provisions of the 1913 Act. In 1927 the castle and its estate were purchased and plans drawn up for what was intended to be the largest and best equipped hospital of its type in Britain.

Providing 1,200 beds at the cost of £1.25m, work began converting the estate to the designs of Wylie, Shanks and Wylie. Lennox Castle itself was adapted into a nurses home. Later requisitioned under the Emergency Hospital Scheme, with ward huts constructed near the Castle, during WW2. A maternity unit was subsequently established on the site in 1941 which operated until 1964. (H.Richardson) In 1987, the castle, previously used for nurses' accommodation, was vacated.

Activities

Project (March 2013 - September 2013)

A project to characterise the quantity and quality of the Scottish resource of known surviving remains of the First World War. Carried out in partnership between Historic Scotland and RCAHMS.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions