Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Glasgow, 1057 Great Western Road, Botanic Gardens Station

Railway Station (19th Century)-(20th Century)

Site Name Glasgow, 1057 Great Western Road, Botanic Gardens Station

Classification Railway Station (19th Century)-(20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Glasgow, Kelvinside, Botanic Gardens Station

Canmore ID 121531

Site Number NS56NE 214

NGR NS 5681 6738

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/121531

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Glasgow, City Of
  • Parish Govan (City Of Glasgow)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District City Of Glasgow
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Archaeology Notes

NS56NE 214 5681 6738.

For (adjacent) Botanic Gardens, see NS56NE 83.00.

Not to be confused with Glasgow, 1051 Great Western Road, Kelvinside Station (NS 5564 6807), for which see NS56NE 1036.

Sta (dis) [NAT] (depicted as roofless: open rectangle)

OS 1:10,000 map, 1984.

Botanic Gardens Station, Great Western Rd, built c. 1894 for the Glasgow Central Rly. by James Miller, architect. An unusual and attractive station, with the platforms and waiting rooms underground. The booking office was in a red brick building with a steeply pitched roof having two towers with galleries, surmounted by gilded onion domes. The centre portion of the frontage was a verandah, and there were end pavilions. Destroyed by fire in 1970.

J R Hume 1974.

This intermediate station was opened 10 August 1896 by the Glasgow Central Rly. It was closed to regular passenger traffic on 1 January 1917 but was reopened on 1 June 1919 and closed again (by the London Midland and Scottish Rly.) on 6 February 1939.

R V J Butt 1995.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions