Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, Princes Street, General

General View

Site Name Edinburgh, Princes Street, General

Classification General View

Alternative Name(s) Waverley Market

Canmore ID 116663

Site Number NT27SE 1277

NGR NT 2525 7383

NGR Description Centred NT 2525 7383

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/116663

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images


First 100 images shown. See the Collections panel (below) for a link to all digital images.

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Architecture Notes

NMRS REFERENCE:

Princes Street, War Memorial

PLANS:

Dick Peddie & McKay, Edinburgh

Attic 2, Bin 31, Bag 1 Dick Peddie, McKay 1946

& Jamieson

REFERENCE:

Scottish Record Office:

The Lord Provost's house in Princes Street.

Included in the illuminations that celebrated the King's recovery. Letter from Mary Campbell to Alexander Campbell of Barcaldine, her husband.

1789 GD 170/1704/1

Plan for the South Side of Princes Street. James Playfair intends to submit a design which will include a warehouse for elegant marble chimney pieces and plaster ornaments.

1790 Letter. GD 151/11/32

Princes Street looking West. Engraving decorates account from John Millar and Co Glass and China Warehouse 1 and 6 South St Andrew Street and 97 George Street.

1871 GD 152/52/2/Bundle 2/8

National Archive of Scotland:

Edinburgh. Princes Street looking West showing John Millar and Co. at the corner of South St.Andrew's Street and Princes Street. Print of the view used as the firm's bill heading. 1865. GD171/Box 102.

NMRS Historical File "North Bridge Street, New Buildings", Princes Street, New Waverley Temperance Hotel

Slide of Princes Street borrowed by Mr Hogarth, Currie Kirk, 5232820, 1.10.1993, removed by RW

NMRS Print Room/Rare Books No 33

A Eddington Edinburgh and The Lothians 1904

Opposite p19 Photograph of Princes Street, showing Scott Monument, 'Princes Street, Edinburgh (Looking West)' 'Photo by A.A. Inglis'

Opposite p21 Photograph of Princes Street from Scott Monument 'Princes Street, Edinburgh, (looking East)' 'Pike & Co' 'Photo by A.A. Inglis'

P36 In text photo of Princes Street 'King's Procession, Princes Street, Edinburgh, 1903' 'Photo by Marshall Wane and Co)

REFERENCE:

Sources: Dean of Guild Bundle 1813 January-June 10.6.1813

Pet. Peter Peddie, Trunk maker

Sources: Dean of Guild 19.8.1813

Pet. John Haldan, Solicitor at law.

Corner Princes Street and Hanover Steet west side.

Alterations to garrets.

Elevation of whole corner house, unsigned.

Sources: Dean of Guild 2.5.1814

Pet. James MacGrigor

Princes Street North side, a Hotel - bounded by West Register Street - addition to hotel

Plans - before and after. Section - Elevation

Elevation of house on other side of W Register Street

Signed T Brown

Sources: Dean of Guild 2.5.1814

Pet. Robert Morton, jeweller

No 1 Princes Street - Coffee room, part of Pools Hotel

To convet into shop

Elevation - shop front

Small part of plan - rest missing

Sources: Dean of Guild 2.6.1814

Pet. George Hunter, merchant

Corner of Princes Street and south east side St Andrew Street

Alterations - turning into two shops?

Plans, before and after

?1814

Pet. George Hunter, merchant

Corner of Princes St and South St Andrew Street

This is same property as 2.6.1814 and it appears that a warrant was not issued at that

time

Plan enclosed, same as previous one, with some external alterations - handrails.

Unsigned

Also plans and elevation, to St Andrew Street, unsigned

Elevation of building from corner, unsigned - shows later floors only

Sources: Dean of Guild 9.6.1814

Pet. Robert Burns, architect

Princes Street

"...A large house formerly occupied by Hon Henry Erskine..."

Plans of three floors. Signed RB. 20 May 1814.

Sources: Dean of Guild 25.6.1814

Pet. James Johnston, tobacconist

Corner of Princes Street and Hanover Street

Elevation of shop floor, unsigned

REFERENCE:

PLANS:

Dick Peddie & MacKay, Edinburgh details

Attic 2, Bin 23, Bag 2 n/d

Activities

Photographic Record (June 1953)

Informal photographs of Edinburgh decorated for the Coronation of Queen Elizabeth II in 1953 taken by the Scottish National Buildings Record.

Aerial Photography (1993)

Aerial Photography (1 September 1994)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions