Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

General view of Waverley Bridge from south also showing part of Princes Street

SC 442173

Description General view of Waverley Bridge from south also showing part of Princes Street

Date 3/1985

Catalogue Number SC 442173

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of A 7710 CN

Scope and Content Waverley Bridge, Edinburgh, looking north towards Princes Street The present Waverley Bridge was constructed in 1894-6 over the valley of the old Nor' Loch, to form a link between the Old Town and the New, and to allow access to Waverley Station. The present bridge was constructed from heavy plate girders supported on 42 cast iron columns. This second rebuilding incorporated the iron parapets of the lattice girder structure of 1870-3, designed by James Bell for the remodelling of Waverley Station. The original Waverley Bridge, a triple rock-faced arch, was constructed c.1844 during the building of Waverley Station. William Playfair designed the retaining walls and the tunnel under The Mound, and may also have advised on the design of the bridge. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/442173

File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions