Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

John O'groats, Threshing Mill

Watermill (Period Unassigned)

Site Name John O'groats, Threshing Mill

Classification Watermill (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Huna; John O'groats Mills; Burn Of Duncansby

Canmore ID 93540

Site Number ND37SE 44

NGR ND 37179 73329

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2022.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Canisbay
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Caithness
  • Former County Caithness

Archaeology Notes

ND37SE 44.00 ND 37179 73329

ND37SE 44.01 ND 37174 73310 Stable Cottage

See also:

ND37SE 27.00 ND 37199 73347 John O'Groats Mill (Meal Mill)

ND37SE 27.01 ND 37155 73370 Mill Cottage

ND37SE 27.02 ND 37208 73165 Mill Dam (pond)

ND37SE 27.03 ND 37237 73179 to ND 37178 73338 Mill Lade

ND37SE 28 ND 37182 73344 Cromwell Bridge (Burn of Duncansby)

ND37SE 29 ND 37159 73291 New Bridge (Burn of Duncansby)

(Location cited as ND 372 733). John O' Groats Mills. The larger mill (ND37SE 27.00), built in 1750 and rebuilt in 1901, is a handsome 3-storey rubble building, on an L plan, with a double kiln. The machinery is driven by an 8-spoke overshot wood and iron wheel, 4ft 3ins (1.3m) wide by 13ft (3.96m) diameter. Nearby is a smaller mill (ND37SE 44.00) with a similar wheel, 2ft 10ins (0.86m) wide by 12ft (3.66m) diameter.

J R Hume 1977.

John o'Groats Mill, Huna. Two corn mills: the larger (1750) was originally a threshing mill, but was rebuilt in 1901 as a corn mill. This reversed the function of the smaller mill (1846) which then became the threshing mill. The former has a tall double-vented kiln, the mill motivated by an overshot wheel. Both mills share the same lade.

E Beaton 1996.


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions