Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

John O' Groats Mills View from S showing N, S and central buildings

SC 435503

Description John O' Groats Mills View from S showing N, S and central buildings

Date 15/5/1974

Collection John R Hume

Catalogue Number SC 435503

Category On-line Digital Images

Scope and Content John o' Groats Mills, Caithness There are two mills on this site, a small 18th century mill, one-storey and attic, with a taller kiln, and a large mill of 1901, three-storey, and on an L-plan. Both have overshot wheels, the larger 1.3m by 3.96m and the smaller 0.86m by 3.66m This view shows the relative positions of the two mills, both of which were powered from the same lade The old mill is the low building towards the left. The route of the lade to the wheel on the west side of the large mill can be seen. The large mill was one of the last new water-powered corn mills to be built in Scotland, and was still working in 1999. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

External Reference H74/143/10

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/435503

File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

Collection Hierarchy - Item Level

Collection Level (551 147) Papers of Professor John R Hume, economic and industrial historian, Glasgow, Scotland

> Item Level (SC 435503) John O' Groats Mills View from S showing N, S and central buildings

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © HES. Reproduced courtesy of J R Hume

Licence Type: Permission to Reproduce

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions