Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

John O' Groats Mills View from ESE showing central building

SC 435501

Description John O' Groats Mills View from ESE showing central building

Date 15/5/1974

Collection John R Hume

Catalogue Number SC 435501

Category On-line Digital Images

Scope and Content John o' Groats Mill, Caithness There are two mills on this site, a small 18th century mill, one-storey and attic, with a taller kiln, and a large mill of 1901, three-storey, and on an L-plan. Both have overshot wheels, the larger 1.3m by 3.96m and the smaller 0.86m by 3.66m This view shows the smaller mill from the east. The mill proper is on the right, with the taller kiln to the left. The kiln ventilator has been removed. The small mill has survived remarkably unaltered, giving a good idea of what Caithness mills were like before the late 19th century. The waterwheel is, however, of a late pattern Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

External Reference H74/143/8

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/435501

File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

Collection Hierarchy - Item Level

Collection Level (551 147) Papers of Professor John R Hume, economic and industrial historian, Glasgow, Scotland

> Item Level (SC 435501) John O' Groats Mills View from ESE showing central building

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © HES. Reproduced courtesy of J R Hume

Licence Type: Permission to Reproduce

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions