Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Archaeology Notes

Event ID 854720

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Archaeology Notes

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/854720

ND37SE 44.00 ND 37179 73329

ND37SE 44.01 ND 37174 73310 Stable Cottage

See also:

ND37SE 27.00 ND 37199 73347 John O'Groats Mill (Meal Mill)

ND37SE 27.01 ND 37155 73370 Mill Cottage

ND37SE 27.02 ND 37208 73165 Mill Dam (pond)

ND37SE 27.03 ND 37237 73179 to ND 37178 73338 Mill Lade

ND37SE 28 ND 37182 73344 Cromwell Bridge (Burn of Duncansby)

ND37SE 29 ND 37159 73291 New Bridge (Burn of Duncansby)

(Location cited as ND 372 733). John O' Groats Mills. The larger mill (ND37SE 27.00), built in 1750 and rebuilt in 1901, is a handsome 3-storey rubble building, on an L plan, with a double kiln. The machinery is driven by an 8-spoke overshot wood and iron wheel, 4ft 3ins (1.3m) wide by 13ft (3.96m) diameter. Nearby is a smaller mill (ND37SE 44.00) with a similar wheel, 2ft 10ins (0.86m) wide by 12ft (3.66m) diameter.

J R Hume 1977.

John o'Groats Mill, Huna. Two corn mills: the larger (1750) was originally a threshing mill, but was rebuilt in 1901 as a corn mill. This reversed the function of the smaller mill (1846) which then became the threshing mill. The former has a tall double-vented kiln, the mill motivated by an overshot wheel. Both mills share the same lade.

E Beaton 1996.

People and Organisations

References